Remus Exhaust details

Anything F-Type related......
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

Hi

I decided to fit a Remus CAT back exhaust system to my 340 V6 F-Type. When I was looking into different systems I found it difficult to find any detailed information regarding noise levels / loudness etc. The best information I got was from other like minded forum members, so thanks to you all.

So with this in mind I decided to carry out a totally unscientific experiment for my own curiosity and maybe too inform others.

Please keep in mind that I am not a sound expert but just someone with a decibel meter purchased from amazon.
This is just a bit of fun.
I have attached the following readings that I have taken before and after.

Method
Purchased a cheap sound meter from amazon “Sound Level Meter, Tacklife MLM02 Sound Level Meter, Measuring Range 30-130 dBA,”
I took three readings for each test and what is shown is the average of these.
Used the same conditions and location for before and after readings
Start up readings (warm engine) taken behind the car 1.5m from exhaust tips
Stationary rev test to approx. 5k revs, basically blipping the accelerator to full
The above rev test overwhelmed the meter at anything less than 8m distance so this was used as a control point.
In cabin readings taken between seats at head level under normal cruising conditions
0-60 cabin reading was maximum acceleration using same method
Car windows up and audio off.
Active exhaust means Dynamic mod with active exhaust engaged
Normal “D” not sport “S”

Conclusion
I am only a few days in to this but my initial conclusion is “ Glad I had it done”
If I had to describe the result I would say, “the Remus on normal mode is similar or maybe a little less than the OEM exhaust in dynamic. However, with the active exhaust on with the Remus exhaust it’s a whole new ball game”.

Other observations
The tic over burble whilst not significantly louder has a much deeper tone.
The build quality is very good
Took just under two hours to install (authorised Remus supplier and fitter)
Kit is complete with all clips mounts and extensions to vacuum pipes
Tail pipes I chose were chrome option but are easily interchangeable
There is a supplier YouTube clip of the exhaust system in action, but doesn’t really do it justice.

Note
It should be noted that the decibel scale is not linear, for example 100db is about 8 times as loud as 70 dB.
http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/c ... amples.htm.
I notified my insurer of the modification and it attracted no additional premium

Hope you find this of interest and useful. Again, I must point out that my readings may contain errors and are only my tool shed experiment and do not reflect any actual Remus or Jaguar factory information

Remus.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7260.JPG

IMG_7258.JPG

IMG_7257.JPG

V6 Coupe British Racing Green

Seacourt

Post by Seacourt »

Hi,

So overall, are you glad that you made the swap to Remus? (seems like it reading your posting).

Can I ask who fitted the exhaust? As I am in the position of needing a new exhaust and don't know whether to go stock or go aftermarket!

Thanks

Seacourt
F Type V6S Convertible 2013.
West London.
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

Hi Seacourt

I live in Kent so I went to a performance shop near me called JF Automotive
https://www.jfautomotive.co.uk/?gclid=E ... gINpfD_BwE

Not sure of your location but I would recommend
Seacourt

Post by Seacourt »

Thanks. Will give them a call and see how much to fit.

Thanks

Seacourt.
F Type V6S Convertible 2013.
West London.
captainham

Post by captainham »

I'm off to David Appleby Engineering on Monday next week to get a Velocity AP cat-back fitted, can't wait for a bit more noise!
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

captainham wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm I'm off to David Appleby Engineering on Monday next week to get a Velocity AP cat-back fitted, can't wait for a bit more noise!
Great, let us know what the results are like
captainham

Post by captainham »

probbins2000 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 pm
captainham wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm I'm off to David Appleby Engineering on Monday next week to get a Velocity AP cat-back fitted, can't wait for a bit more noise!
Great, let us know what the results are like
The results are in. It was a 90 min drive back from DAE and my cheeks were hurting by the end, cos I smiled like a loon the whole way back :)

Fuel economy wasn't great either as I did the motorway section in 6th rather than 8th, just because it sounds so damned good. I'm chuffed with the result.

I wouldn't say it's any louder when the valve is closed, it's just a different tone (and a pleasant one at that), a bit more 'cultured' almost, but it's also not "Chav Loud" when the valves are open although certainly louder than stock. But it really barks when you gun it with the valve open, plus you get plenty more pop and crackle too.

It's exactly what I was looking for...we're not talking "Max Power"-type tuning here, just a bit different and with a voice that's throatier enough compared to standard to be noticeable but certainly not outrageous.

Was also really happy with the workshop - James @ DAE is a lovely bloke, let me have a poke around the GT4 F-Type racers that they maintain there (posted pics of these in the Gallery section). I'll definitely be going back there at some point for the tune and pulley kit, but I want to enjoy the exhaust as it for now before doing anything more serious with it just yet.

They also do induction kits plus a "whine inhibitor removal" kit which I'm tempted by...JLR went to some lengths to suppress the noise of the supercharger whine and the DAE kit undoes that and gives it a bit more of a voice... :)

Really crappy pic below, sorry for quality but my phone didn't like the bright workshop lights.

IMG_20181126_101415.jpg

F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

This may be of interest to someone if still available ....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2831

I would agree with the comments regarding a deeper yet not excessive tone on tick over, nice bark on start up, and it gets a bit naughty in dynamic mode ....
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Alasdair63

Post by Alasdair63 »

Remus, sold to Stucat
Corrie grey svr Coupé
Carbon graphite vorsteiner wheels
Kw lowering springs
PB big brakes
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

[/quote]

The results are in. It was a 90 min drive back from DAE and my cheeks were hurting by the end, cos I smiled like a loon the whole way back :)

[/quote]

Glad you are please with the results.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post