https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/indus ... ric-f-type
What happens to probably one of the best selling points. THE NOISE :shock:
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

scm

Post by scm »

Yeah, my V8's soundtrack is definitely addictive. You only get the tyre noise with electric cars, which admittedly might be considerable from those wide tyres. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
vika01

Post by vika01 »

Well for sure if it goes electric I won’t buy one. I will want the V8 even more.
2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I would not buy one for the lack of noise

Still I’m sure it would have the option of some synthetic exhaust sound via the audio system
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
probbins2000

Post by probbins2000 »

I drove the I pace on a Jaguar Experience day. Took it out for a good few hours and I must admit I liked the driving experience. I think an electric F-type would be amazing and is the inevitable way forward. I found it a totally different driving experience and the performance was superb. Having said that the only thing I did not like about the experience was the piped engine sounds in the cabin. I was told this function could be switched off.
I love the sound of my V6 and I have a Remus exhaust which in my opinion makes it sound even better, but I have to say I am looking forward to an electric future. Heretic!!!
V6 Coupe British Racing Green
scm

Post by scm »

For me, the problem with electric is the fact that I can't recharge it fully in 5 minutes like I can with my F-Type. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

scm wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 pm For me, the problem with electric is the fact that I can't recharge it fully in 5 minutes like I can with my F-Type. ;)
Exactly my opinion too. The whole point of a sports car is it’s totally immersive experience and that includes the beautiful noise of the exhausts!

Also, new batteries are required every 7 years or so in electric cars. I understand that the cost currently runs into several thousand pounds. I wouldn’t be keen on a used one for sure and it will be interesting to see the depreciation levels on them after, say 3 or 4 years when the time for new battery packs is getting ever closer. If we all have to have electric cars I also wonder just how the grid will cope when everyone plugs them in for a recharge. Best keep a torch handy IMHO just in case the lights go out!
Salsa Red V6S Coupe, Performance Heated Seats, Memory Pack, 20" DC Gyrodynes, Heated Windscreen, Blind Spot Detection & CVS, Meridian Audio, Powered Tailgate, Illuminated Tread Plates and Big Smile!
DarkLumen

Post by DarkLumen »

I would have taken my current F-type as electric had the option been available. The F-type is all about performances and right now electric is winning that race hands down. I love the noise but I could live without it for the performance experience. The technology to make it sound as you want is much easier than making petrol perform like electric. Infrastructure and market reacts to demand and as that increases so the issues with charging and battery life cycle will improve. There might be depreciation risk but buying an F-type was never an investment opportunity its an expensive indulgence that I'm happy to pay for.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I'd be well up for one. I love the noise but would soon get used to a whoosh..
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I was watching something the other day, it might have been Star Wars or Sci-fi on Netflix, can't remember. Anyway, there was a futuristic electric vehicle that sounded like something you'd want. Obviously the film makers had created the noise as an effect, but it made me think that this was what electric cars should sound like. Also, I see that Tesco have signed up with a charging company, so they can see an opportunity to get people into their stores for the 30 minutes or so cars take to top up.

There's a new Jag documentary on Amazon Prime, called 'Going Electric', it mentions that electric cars aren't a new idea at all, in the early days of motoring there were quite a few of them. Although the only thing that todays' engineers seem to have missed is holes in the floor for 'Flintstone propulsion' when the batteries are flat :lol:

Fintstones.gif

2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post