Ceramic coating advice?

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Gom Jabbar

Post by Gom Jabbar »

I want to have the F-type detailed and ceramic coated soon but before I do can I ask if there is anyone out there who has any experience of the ceramic? I want the glossy shine and want it to be easier to clean....does the investment really produce these results? Also there seem to be various different ceramic brands - is there a recommended one to go for?
2018 F-Type SVR in Caldera Red with a huge amount of toys yet to be explored!

Arne

Post by Arne »

I can't talk for other brands, but I have Gtechniq Crystal Serum Pro on my F-type (and on my previous Touareg and currently every day car Arteon).

It was applied 3.5 years ago by a pro detailer, and still holds very well. So far no signs of it waring off. Very easy to keep clean, and holds a good glossy shine.

Having the coating done to three cars now, shows how pleased I am with it.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
scm

Post by scm »

Basher had his done, I expect he'll be along with sage words soon. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Depends on whether or not the car is a keeper?

I had Gtechniq on an earlier F-Type and it was very good.
I can vouch for their quality, and I tend to use all their products now.

As mine's a keeper I have PPF'd the whole thing...more cost and gravel effective!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
basher

Post by basher »

scm wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 pm Basher had his done, I expect he'll be along with sage words soon. ;)
Indeed I did, and it's nice to know that someone reagrds my words as sagely (is that even a word???). :D

I took my 400 to https://autocurators.com/ as they'd come highly recommended by several others on this forum.
  • They use their own custom ceramic coat... check their website for details.
  • They did my wheels too. In fact, I have my car booked in with them in 2 weeks to refurb 3 kerbed wheels, and to paint my rear calipers.
  • I also had PPF applied to the front end.
Very impressed with the outcome. Even without a pressure washer / snow foam, washing is a breeze. The "glassy" coating is so nice to touch too. ;)

I can't comment on other ceramic coats or detailing companies, but I'm sure others on here can recommend some.

My advice... just do it. Definitely worth the money IMHO.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Plymothian

Post by Plymothian »

I had mine fully PPF'd from new - no swirl marks on a black car for me! I had it done by Auto Wax Works in Bicester: https://www.autowaxworks.co.uk/

I also fully agree with basher on the ceramic coating - definitely worth the money.
MY19.5, F-Type V6 3.0 P380 RWD Coupe
Santorini Black, Pan Roof, Parking Pack, Cirrus Leather
chicb

Post by chicb »

I use Gtechniq ceramic coating on my cars, also the coatings for glass, wheels & interior & am very happy with it.
However with the low front on the F type you should consider getting the front & possibly the bonnet fitted with paint protection film as no ceramic coating will prevent stone chips no matter what anyone tells you.
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S
y700suf

Post by y700suf »

Most definitely worth the money if it is cosmetic effect rather than true protection you want.

The paintwork feels like glass to the touch and much easier to wash.
2015 Jaguar F-Type V6S
2007 Audi RS4

1979 Ferrari 308 GTB
2009 AM Vantage V8
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Audi TT
1985 BMW 325
SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

My previous car had Modesta coating. I wouldn't do it again. I would rather put the money to PPF and a good spray on sealant and or wax once and a while.
Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

There are a wide range of retailers and products and as yo might expect, they have preferred products.

I don’t know where you are located, but if in the SE area then you would be hard pushed to improve on the services offered by KDS in Gillingham. The proprietor, Kelly, has been in the paint business for 20+ yrs and was involved in the development of the G-Technic range

https://www.kdskeltec.co.uk

The ultimate gloss look will only come with a wet sanding of the paintwork as this removes all the factory orange peel to leave a flat glass like finish ... you then decide if you want ceramic or PPF ... have a look at Kelly’s blue M3 to see the results .. the ultimate reflective finish ... had my NSX 3/4 yrs ago and still looks as fresh as the day I picked it up ... :D
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post