Big power upgrade or not

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Hi guys. I had an E-Mail from david Appleby engineering today re the power upgrade for my V8 R It seems that for around £1400 I can achieve around 620 bhp. If I wanted to go the whole hog it is £2600 which is with the 200 cell cats. But for that extra 1200 quid it only gives an extra 10bhp, & possibility of engine warning lights coming on due to wrong Lambda readings. So not really worth it. Today I took a very nice Lady out in the car for the day after she contacted me through a friend, she had watched me launch the car from the famous Squires motorcycle café at Newthorpe. She rides a Fireblade & not slowly. She was amazed at the stupid power & sound of the V8 R AWD. Do I say stuff it & have it done. 2years old so warrantee out on feb 2020. Or do I say yes. Must admit they have told me the exhaust will be even louder than the earbleed I already have. Comments guys. Even you green piece fanatics. Remember I can always put a can under the tailpipes to catch the wasted fuel & recycle it. Saving the earth from imminent destruction.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

No no no - the quicker we use it the sooner we all go electric. Do your bit :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

£1400 seems reasonable to go from 550 to 620 if that is your thing. £20 per bhp.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

That sounds like amazing value for the extra BHP so if that's what you need it's a no brainer for me.

My only issue is that when I think how often I am foot to the floor in mine and thinking, god I need some more power, well TBH, it's never happened. In real life, on roads 542 BHP is plenty, maybe too much already. At the bar or race track then maybe it's not.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
davidd

Post by davidd »

See if you get bored with what it's currently got. If you do then upgrade.
Gasman2

Post by Gasman2 »

I have the 200 cell cats upper pulley and tune and its a very fast car
Its not about the top end its the instant pick up and yes it is more aggressive exhaust but with valves closed its as per stock
There will be no chexk lighrs with a upper pulley and tune and cats ....only with lower pulley do u need to look at plugs and intercooler upgrade
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I spoke to the previous owner of my car last night over some paperwork etc. I asked him again if he was sure the car was 575. He said when he bought the car from Stratsone Notts he wanted a SVR because of the extra power & they said they could have the engine power lifted to match SVR. He was not sure whether it was by them directly or someone who comes & does upgrades. I know this happens because a guy we know who does mobile tuning goes around a lot of dealers doing power upgrades. One is a main dealer near York. Audi. Last time he came to do my new van he had just come from Audi where he had done 2 RS6 upgrades to crazy power for customers who wanted it done. I guess the only way to know is a rolling road, but have seen a few cars come off & get trashed. Think I should just stick to driving at the moment.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post