Longest Ever Wait?

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
KenC

Post by KenC »

Around the turn of the century I read magazine reports about a Jaguar concept car - the Ftype. I knew I had to have one to replace my Lotus Elise. However, the car never made production in that form. In 2002 I bought a 2001 XK Convertible which sat alongside my Elise as it could not replace it. In 2008 I bought a new XK60 Convertible which I had for 2 years before I bought a Porsche Boxster.

I was lucky enough to be invited to participate in a Jaguar Market Research exercise when the proposed and yet to be named car was displayed alongside a Boxster and a 911 so in a small way I helped shape the first production cars.

In late 2011, when the Boxster was less than a year old, the order books opened for the F type. I placed a deposit for the second build slot at my dealer.

I attended a Jaguar launch event in London and a local dealer lauch event.

In late April 2013 the time came to confirm my order. My dealer could not give me a competitive price for my Boxster so I agreed to sell it for cash to my Porsche dealer. When I took it to leave it with them I was going to call into the Jaguar dealer on the way home to order what would have been a mid £70k V6 S with just a few options. Being new there was no discount to list leaving me to find over £50k over my Boxster, which began to feel like a lot of money. While at the Porsche dealer they showed me a fully specced Boxster S with a list price in excess of £60k but offered to me for around £54k. At a saving of over £20k and a much better spec I made a spur of the moment decision to buy it and had my Jaguar deposit returned.

Today I placed a deposit on a white P300 RD Coupe with exterior black pack which I collect on 14th May when I return from abroad. So that will be nearly 20 years since I first became interested in it. So 5 more weeks should pass in a flash.
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.

scm

Post by scm »

Good to see someone exercising good taste, even it's taken them 20 years to come to their senses! :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
basher

Post by basher »

Congrats Ken. Your wait trumps mine. 18 months from first test drive to ownership. Plus maybe another 4 years since the first time I ever saw an F.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Well I suppose it was not that long but 43yrs ago I had a E-Type 4.2 series 2 roadster, which started me on a long life of sports cars & a lot of money gone on steel & plastic. The car I had been looking for was an Audi RS4 or RS5. Then I saw the F-Type 2 weeks ago & that was it. Not stopped smiling since.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Money paid. Salesman collecting me at 7:30 tomorrow morning so not long now.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Great news Ken,Ive just ordered my new jag been thinking about it for a while.
ordered a factory built car but I have to wait 4 months which is annoying.
AyceeDeeCee

Post by AyceeDeeCee »

Can't beat a Porsche and a Jag!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Don't know about that. I had a Carrera 2 3.6 321bhp for 5 years & did not get on with it at all. Probably because I came from a 700bhp Nissan skyline gtr. So it seemed slow & uninteresting to drive. Not like the v8 r which is mental.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Although a 911 fan since the 1980s I've never owned one. I have had a Boxster 987 and a Boxster S 981 since my XK60 so the fact I'm back in a Jaguar says a lot.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Had the phone call today to say my new build will be ready the end on the the month.
It’s been the longest wait ever.
Every time I’m on the road I’m looking for f types
I probably see one a week.