Thruxton - Jaguar experience day

Anything F-Type related......
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

All,
I've done a couple of driver training days with www.carlimits.com on an airfield at North Weald, videos were posted on this site. They are excellent and I notice they also do on track training, they say...........

You will be taught about car control through various exercises utilising parts of circuit and will then be taught how to put it all together on your laps. The day will enhance your car control skills and show you the science of what's happening and what you need to do. If you're interested in these days and require further information please contact us on sales@carlimits.com or call 01992 525750.
Or, if you're purely after track tuition at differnt locations we can also organise these days. Please contact us and we can get something organised to suit your requirements.

They only have 2 dates and these are booked up but if others are interested I am happy to call them to see if they could offer training at a track. I would prefer something tailored as I don't want some muppet taking me out on a corner in a £200 car or to have to pay £500 insurance plus £5000 excess on a normal track day. Even if something smaller and bespoke is more expensive than a normal track day it will be cheaper than the muppet scenario?
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

basher

Post by basher »

So much choice...

I think I'm still going to opt for the Thruxton Jag day. I might decide thereafter to do something else using my own car, but not for my 1st track experience.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
RagtopRoadster

Post by RagtopRoadster »

I did a similar thing with FTypes at the JLR test track near Coventry at the tail end of last year. I had an instructor who drove me on a demonstration lap and then I drove a soft lap to get the feel of the circuit. This was in a V6. I was then encouraged to ”go fo it” and given some verbal instruction by the very capable Jaguar copilot. I hit 141mph on the back straight, very satisfying, not to mention smile inducing.
NEXT I was switched into a V8. Not really thinking that I wanted to, or indeed could, go any faster, I was pleasantly surprised to hit 170 in this much more powerful monster of a car. This again was on the very long back straight, about 2 miles in length, I think. The instructor pointed out the display on the instrument cluster which showed the brakes glowing bright red as I decelerated and braked into the bend at the bottom of the straight.
170 mph! That was a high I won’t easily forget.
I think it cost about £135.00 and was the best money I’ve spent since buying my F Type last June. I’ve looked to do it again but it seems unavailable at the moment so a trip to Thruxton looks very interesting. I fancy a midweek trip as the track “should” be quieter than on the weekends. Anybody else?
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

basher wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 pm So much choice...

I think I'm still going to opt for the Thruxton Jag day. I might decide thereafter to do something else using my own car, but not for my 1st track experience.
Hi Basher,

What’s the objective of going on track? Is it simply to ‘legally’ use the Jag’s potential? Or are you looking for driver training?

If its the first then save a shed load of cash and go to a Vmax day at Bruntingthorpe.

If the latter, track driving, braking points and entry points in my opinion simply don’t translate to road use. If you’re looking to enhance your skills to enjoy each drive, have you considered someone like Don Palmer who will encourage you to find the limits of your car then take you back to a point where you can enjoy making rapid progress (when conditions permit) and give you more regularly useable skills than a few laps around a track ...

Just my thoughts, wishing you many happy safe miles of motoring enjoyment ...

Regards, Senninha
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
basher

Post by basher »

Senninha wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:11 pm Hi Basher,

What’s the objective of going on track? Is it simply to ‘legally’ use the Jag’s potential? Or are you looking for driver training?

If its the first then save a shed load of cash and go to a Vmax day at Bruntingthorpe.

If the latter, track driving, braking points and entry points in my opinion simply don’t translate to road use. If you’re looking to enhance your skills to enjoy each drive, have you considered someone like Don Palmer who will encourage you to find the limits of your car then take you back to a point where you can enjoy making rapid progress (when conditions permit) and give you more regularly useable skills than a few laps around a track ...

Just my thoughts, wishing you many happy safe miles of motoring enjoyment ...

Regards, Senninha
Hi Senninha,

Good questions...

I've never experienced the thrill of track driving, so that's my main objective. Certainly more than pure straightline speed.

I take your point about track not translating to normal road driving. I'll get a track day out of my system first then consider some additional training.

Tel

Post by Tel »

basher wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 pm So much choice...

Just to through a spanner in the works....If it's your first time, you might want to consider a completely different approach!

One that I took, started with carting outdoors working my way up to two stroke hooligan machines, then onto Rallying!

My objective was to take (and I thought I knew it all about driving and was about to be proved wrong!) my time to try to be confident to know what to do when car is out of balance rather than on a track where unless you get it wrong, you are aiming to be on the balance point.

This was the exact same route that I took with motorcycling; off road at the ripe age of 8, learn from all the mistake that I could make, then onto tarmac.

Carting is alot cheaper than track days, and amazingly great fun, Rallying, skid pans etc are the place where you really get to learn how to handle a car.
It was many years ago 1989, but I think Phil Price rally school was the place for Rallying in Wales...still going strong http://www.philprice.co.uk/

Not sure if you're at Beaulieu next weekend, if you are then I can give you more info.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
basher

Post by basher »

Thanks Tel... even more to consider now!

I think I'll stick to my original plan of first having some fun on a track in an F, but not my own car! :mrgreen:

Thereafter, I'll look into further options for more "fun times".

I need to get off my arse and book something now...

Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Tel wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:04 pm
It was many years ago 1989, but I think Phil Price rally school was the place for Rallying in Wales...still going strong http://www.philprice.co.uk/
I did this about 6 yrs ago ... great experience and once you believe the car will respond you can experience a whole new level of control (on the loose stuff) ...

As an ex-biker (gave it up when the little ones arrived (at the Mrs’ request)) I found it particularly useful with preparation and looking ahead when back on tarmac ...
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post