UBIGI sim card, software updates

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

I recently took delivery of my new car which is fitted with a UBIGI sim card. As far as I can see everything is configured properly and the internet connection is switched on. Using the app on my phone I can get info from the car.

However, none of the internet functions in the car work. If I try to sign in to my incontrol it just gives an error. If I try software updates it says it needs an internet connection. If I try to navigate it tries to look online and then does a local search on the car's SSD. It doesn't display live traffic.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Chris
2019 White P300 Coupe

KenC

Post by KenC »

Did it get registered correctly upon collection? Perhaps it just needs to recognise you as a licenced user.
2019 F-Type Coupe, P300 R Dynamic (Sold)
2016 Mini Countryman Cooper S All4.
2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia.
SWC

Post by SWC »

The SIM card has to be activated and registered from the car itself. If you register it, as I did from the home computer it will not work.
F-Type Coupe P300 - British Racing Green
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Thank you both. I tried registering a new account from the car (when prompted on the navigation screen) and logging in using my existing account. I even tried deliberately putting in an incorrect password to see what would happen. On every attempt it just says something like there is an error at our end. I have ordered a preloaded data sim which I will try. The dealers are very friendly but when it comes to some of the more high tech stuff I'm not convinced the salesman really understands. I will let you know how it goes.
2019 White P300 Coupe
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I recently switched from Jaguar to the dark side (Range Rover) and it was interesting how some things are similar and others aren't.
As your journeys are coming up with the app on your phone ok then the car is registered with Jaguar Incontrol.

The sign-in on the Nav Screen is linked to the "Here" site which is map updates and route planning.
https://www.jaguar.here.com/
If you have a working SIM and 3G or 4G is appearing with the engine running AND "mobile data" is switched on then it should be able to connect and allow you to create a profile on the car (nav screen) which can then link to the "Here" site.

If you haven't already got an existing profile on the link above for "Here" then you will need to create one.
I couldn't link a new vehicle to my existing Jaguar account as there is no commonality unlike the Incontrol system so I had to create a new account on the LR version.
Once registered then you should be able to add your new vehicle but it won't show for a while until the profile is created on the car.

My dealer had run out of the Ubigi SIMs (I've heard a few bad reports about them) so I bought a "3" data only sim from amazon which have always worked seamlessly in other Jags and it is plug and play with no registration.
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue when trying to login (error at our end please try later) - the issue i had was that the sim i was using had run out of data and was therefore not connected to internet - once i topped up then no problem - subsequently i have switched to the free sim from 3 which gives 200mb data per month for zero cost - seems to be working well so far
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Again, Thank you both. I will register on the site recommended by Phil. I have ordered a pre-loaded 12Gb '3' data only sim card. It was £28 from mymemory and lasts for a year (or until the data runs out). https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-tr ... -data.html

I like to think I am quite tech savvy but I do wonder how less knowledgeable people cope with these things.
2019 White P300 Coupe
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

johnsoncp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm Again, Thank you both. I will register on the site recommended by Phil. I have ordered a pre-loaded 12Gb '3' data only sim card. It was £28 from mymemory and lasts for a year (or until the data runs out). https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-tr ... -data.html

I like to think I am quite tech savvy but I do wonder how less knowledgeable people cope with these things.
Fingers crossed it all works out and you have definitely got the right Sim.
Lot of people have found it's the easiest and most hassle free one out there.
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

PhilB wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm
johnsoncp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm Again, Thank you both. I will register on the site recommended by Phil. I have ordered a pre-loaded 12Gb '3' data only sim card. It was £28 from mymemory and lasts for a year (or until the data runs out). https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-tr ... -data.html

Fingers crossed it all works out and you have definitely got the right Sim.
Lot of people have found it's the easiest and most hassle free one out there.
Thank you. Until now I had never heard of UBIGI. The display on the car shows 4g but it's not working so I assume it's run out of data. Perhaps the dealers forgot something or used the data but I really can't be bothered messing around with something so stupid. If free causes me a lot of work and trouble then it's no good.
2019 White P300 Coupe
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

johnsoncp wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm Thank you. Until now I had never heard of UBIGI. The display on the car shows 4g but it's not working so I assume it's run out of data. Perhaps the dealers forgot something or used the data but I really can't be bothered messing around with something so stupid. If free causes me a lot of work and trouble then it's no good.
Numerous posts about these Ubigi Sims using the monthly allocation in under 2 weeks.
When I collected mine we put in a new 3 12Gb Sim and it connected straight away.
It's used 79 mb in the first 2 weeks with just mobile data activated.
I get the impression that the dealers are pretty fed up with Ubigi and the aggravation they are having with them.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post