Slick 50 - Moly Engine Protector

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

Does anyone use this brand of Molybdenum Disulphide engine oil additive?

If so any comments?
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.

Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

I wouldn’t put any of this stuff in an engine. Modern lub oils are chemical masterpieces, and specified to coexist with the materials used for bearings and cylinder walls. Mixing this gunk in is unlikely to end well, despite the advertising. If you’ve got an old worn out engine you’ve got nothing to lose except your cash, but in a high speed, high temperature, high BMEP engine you are playing with fire.

It’s actually a pity we throw away the lub at this magic “annual” oil change, as there is no science behind it. Does anyone check the primary characteristics like viscosity, lubricity, pH etc? No. Does it get recycled? No. In a world of shrinking resources, this high cost, high tech item deserves more respect. Improved filtration alone could probably double the change interval, and adding in some simple treatment of the used oil could probably see it reused several times. But think of all those garage visits that wouldn’t happen, and those high margin oil changes... do I hear the crackle of vested interests? Anyway electric cars don’t need it so change is a coming.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

My previous BMW M3 was only every 2 years. I don't think my F Types engine is any more highly tuned or stressed.
I agree it should easily go 2 years unless you are doing high mileage.
Just a money maker for the dealer.

I digress though, and Slick 50 wouldn't go near any of my engines.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I did use it in my my Morris minor, along with a product called piston seal. All bollocks. In the wonderful world of synthetics leave well alone. Just go out & thrash the pussy cat. Very reliable engines. The V6 does have the odd injection problems but generally they are very reliable & do not require anything but the standard oil change.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
scm

Post by scm »

steviegtr wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:56 amThe V6 does have the odd injection problems ...
In the US they seem to have mitigated against this with annual applications of BG44K.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post