F-Type on the shopping list

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Not to worry guys, I fully understand and agree. I've contacted my local news-agent to see if they can source it.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

JarredW77

Post by JarredW77 »

Ref the question “will an f type be reliable after 60,000 miles? I would say (from bitter experience) no. My f type 3.0 V6S had misfiring cylinders at 59,000 miles due to water ingress. Now, needs an entirely new engine at 77,000 at a cost of £17,000. So, beware older f types. I wish i’d Moved mine at 50,000.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

The v8 is super reliable. Same unit as the 5.0 Mustang. Ford.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
scm

Post by scm »

steviegtr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:13 am The v8 is super reliable. Same unit as the 5.0 Mustang. Ford.
The Mustang uses a Jaguar engine? :?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The v8 engine is used in Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston's. The Jaguar variant is known as AJ133.

Quote:
"The engine is manufactured in an all-new, dedicated Jaguar facility located within the Ford Bridgend Engine Plant in Bridgend, South Wales. The Jaguar "plant-within-a-plant" saved considerable investment costs by Jaguar. It is staffed by workers dedicated to Jaguar engine production and includes a linked flow-line of computer numerically controlled machines with automated loading and assembly".

So I would presume the "block" is the same but with Jaguar specific add-ons etc.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Something doesn't make sense.
I am famiiliar with the AJ133 being used by Jaguar, but by Mustang, you sure ? Vastly difference perforamce specs.
And the Aston (the new one anyway) is definately a 4.0 V8 and it's by Mercedes, not a 5.0L V8.

Cross collaboration is inevitable I guess. That 4.0 V8 by Mercedes seems to now be seeing service on a number of difference makes of cars.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

This is a topic that often comes up when Jaguar engines are described as "Ford".
The confusion is often because they are built at the Ford engine plant in Bridgend but as has been said already, this is a plant within a plant using Jaguar employees.
The AJ133 V8 is an all-new Jaguar engine from 2009.
The AJ126 is the V6 engine and was introduced in 2014.
The V6 has no connection whatsoever with the older Ford V6.
For a start the Jag engine is a 90 degree V6 whereas the old Ford V6 was a 60 degree job.

The V6 is externally the same engine as the V8 size-wise.
It was developed from the V8 using 3 pot cylinder heads and internals instead of 4 cylinder heads.
That's why certainly in the F-Type no major structural changes are needed to fit either engine.

It's all on Wiki (and other places) where you can see drop down lists of the vehicles these engines are used in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

Latest Ford Mustang uses Ford's "Coyote" V8 which has been developed from their modular engine line which has been around since the early 90's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Following on from PhilB's above post, there is no logical reason why the V6 should be any less reliable than the V8.
It basically uses the same parts as do many other Jaguar models.
You will always have horror stories on forums, some just plain unlucky and some possibly through neglect.
Condition and service history is key.
I always look underneath, the condition of the engine bay and the inside of the wheels. If someone takes time to clean the inside of the wheels I feel comfortable that they take care of the whole car.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

JarredW77 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:46 pm Ref the question “will an f type be reliable after 60,000 miles? I would say (from bitter experience) no. My f type 3.0 V6S had misfiring cylinders at 59,000 miles due to water ingress. Now, needs an entirely new engine at 77,000 at a cost of £17,000. So, beware older f types. I wish i’d Moved mine at 50,000.
This is very sad to hear. I have always been nervous about the bonnet louvres. Is this where the water came from? My experience with an old Ford RS Turbo was that the louvres let water fall onto and damage part of the injection system. Aluminium does have it's own kind of 'rust'.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 amI have always been nervous about the bonnet louvres. Is this where the water came from? My experience with an old Ford RS Turbo was that the louvres let water fall onto and damage part of the injection system. Aluminium does have its own kind of 'rust'.
No need to worry about the bonnet louvres. I've had them on my two previous XKRs over a 9 year period, parked outside, under rain and snow and had no problems whatsoever. I'm equally untroubled about the louvres on my F-Type, mine is the AWD and has plastic covers under then to protect anything beneath them.

I'm more concerned with petrol egress, not water ingress! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post