Are newer F-Types quieter than their older brothers?

Anything F-Type related......
sebby1990

Post by sebby1990 »

My 2013 V8 F-Type has been back to Jaguar a number of times under warranty, but I noticed between having a 2014 V6S and a 2019 V6S courtesy car, that the newer one sounds remarkably quieter than the older V6. My V8 is unmodified except might have a fuse blown that controls the active exhaust so it's always noisy, but it's amazing how ridiculously loud my V8 is compared to the relatively aggressive sound the older V6S makes, compared to how muted the 2019 V6S sounds.

Did Jaguar quieten the newer cars? I must admit, I was impressed that they managed to sell the older cars as standard being able to make such a cacophany, so is it just the tree huggers making Jaguar turn the noise down?
Jaguar F-Type V8S, Mercedes-Benz ML63, Subaru Impreza WRX, Mini Cooper

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

In short yes, newer models are quieter. I believe it’s software related, and some older cars going in for services have been flashed with the new software also making them quieter

Mostly affects start up, idle and revs below 4K
A lot less crackles & pops
basher

Post by basher »

dbv6s wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:46 am In short yes, newer models are quieter. I believe it’s software related, and some older cars going in for services have been flashed with the new software also making them quieter

Mostly affects start up, idle and revs below 4K
A lot less crackles & pops
Mine's going in for a service on Friday.

I absolutely do *NOT* want it flashed if it'll end up being quieter.

However, can the other software updates be applied, or is it all in 1 big patch?
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

basher wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:48 am
Mine's going in for a service on Friday.

I absolutely do *NOT* want it flashed if it'll end up being quieter.

However, can the other software updates be applied, or is it all in 1 big patch?
Does your car remember dynamic mode after an ignition cycle? If it does then you will get update H167.

I got this in May when mine was serviced. I have noticed no change in noise at all. Still noisy. It just forgets dynamic mode at every ignition cycle.

When they plug it in it will say outstanding campaign and until updated they cannot claim for any warranty work or undertake any work otherwise they won't get funds repaid to them.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I would like to know from those that drive a 2016 or end 2015 model with regard to the sound of the engine.
I drive a 2016 and below 4000, it's like driving a 4 door sedan - very sedate and quiet unless I engage the exhaust valve.
I was at a traffic light and behind a Maserati GT and it hard a hard rumble from the get go. Unless I engage the active exhaust, I definately don't get that.

And our law's a no way as stringent as in the UK
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

I think mine became a bit quieter at low revs after having the update (my petrolhead neighbour commented on it!), but it's as noisy as ever (and it is noisy!) once you open it up, especially in dymanic mode.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
basher

Post by basher »

simpleR wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 am Does your car remember dynamic mode after an ignition cycle? If it does then you will get update H167.

I got this in May when mine was serviced. I have noticed no change in noise at all. Still noisy. It just forgets dynamic mode at every ignition cycle.

When they plug it in it will say outstanding campaign and until updated they cannot claim for any warranty work or undertake any work otherwise they won't get funds repaid to them.
Yes, my car remembers dynamic mode, for a few hours at least.
Good to know there's no discernible change to noise. :mrgreen:
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

My car still remembers dynamic mode after main dealer service in July. Also no noticeable change in noise levels - wife still hates it πŸ€™
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Mine was serviced end July and still remembers dynamic mode and there is no noticeable difference in sound, even on start up and cold or hot idle.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Tel

Post by Tel »

basher wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:54 am
simpleR wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 am Does your car remember dynamic mode after an ignition cycle? If it does then you will get update H167.

Yes, my car remembers dynamic mode, for a few hours at least.
Good to know there's no discernible change to noise. :mrgreen:
I didn't want my car updated (downrated!) or dynamic buttons changed, so I fitted one of these a few years back: https://www.bem-auto.com/product/universal-tune-saver/
Only I can play with the port now!

Paramount do a Thatcham apprd. one if you're flush with money: https://www.paramount-performance.com/o ... evice.html
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more πŸ’©