Are newer F-Types quieter than their older brothers?

Anything F-Type related......
Arne

Post by Arne »

The inside of the exaust tips on the newer V8's are narrower as well. Don't know why?

This is how my MY15 looks. If you have one of the newer models, have a look and see the difference.

The outer one:

20190819_210735.jpg

The inner one:

20190819_210721.jpg

F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

Rogere

Post by Rogere »

Hi
Doesn’t the exhaust noise have a lot to do with a particulate filter being fitted on later models?
Certainly the new SVR that I looked at, drove and listened to was a lot quieter than the one I bought

It’s a huge deal for me, I simply love this motor and would be desolate if a service software upgrade changed anything

Roger
2016 F Type SVR. Firesand. A riot of black and orange!
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

It's definitely quieter, I have a 2020 V6 and noticed this too. However I still get plenty of crackles and pops, I don't think they are less than before, but maybe a bit quieter too. It's not only the particulate filter, but rather the software. I pulled the fuse for the valves and it became much better, as some said before there was pretty much no sound under 3500rpm even with the button activated.
Unfortunately even with the fuse pulled the idle sound is really, really quiet and the cold start-up while still nice will not wake any neighbours anymore.

Although as I said with the fuse pulled it's much, much better, the sound under 3500rpm increases by at least 30%. The difference to the older V6 is not that great anymore, even in my papers I have 94db and 74db written which is pretty much the same as before, maybe +-1 difference.

It's not just the F-Type though, even supercars became much quieter because of new EU regulations.
400P

Post by 400P »

scm wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am I think mine became a bit quieter at low revs after having the update (my petrolhead neighbour commented on it!), but it's as noisy as ever (and it is noisy!) once you open it up, especially in dymanic mode.
I felt the same and agreed with similar comments made when I had the software upgraded back in the summer. Basically idld/ low revs *seem* quieter, cold start slightly quieter too (?), but still as loud as normal above a few thousand revs.
- RWD 400 Sport -
basher

Post by basher »

Got mine back yesterday after a service. Doesn't look like any s/w patches were applied. Noise is still nice and LOUD as before. 😁
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

My last service was July and I left Dynamic on last night when I parked in the drive, it had defaulted back to normal this morning (Dynamic off) so not sure if I have the latest software update or not, that said the start up bark still seems just as loud and when I switch Dynamic on again it still sounds like it’s gargling ball bearings, I just hope it doesn’t loose this with future software updates...
2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof
scm

Post by scm »

basher wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 pm Got mine back yesterday after a service. Doesn't look like any s/w patches were applied. Noise is still nice and LOUD as before. 😁
But does dymanic mode stay on through ignition recycles (up to 6 hours)?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
basher

Post by basher »

scm wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 pm But does dymanic mode stay on through ignition recycles (up to 6 hours)?
Yes Steve, it does.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

basher wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 pm
scm wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 pm But does dymanic mode stay on through ignition recycles (up to 6 hours)?
Yes Steve, it does.
Mine was serviced a couple of week ago, it's still very loud in dynamic and definitely kept the setting whilst we went for a pizza today.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

Maybe they only apply the update to V8s? To stop others being jealous! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post