Stolen yesterday

Anything F-Type related......
chastt

Post by chastt »

My 64 plate V6S coupe was nicked last night from Snow Hill Railway station car park in Birmingham, it has been recovered within a couple of hours but Police are not releasing details of it's condition to me whilst investigations are on-going.
Drivers window was smashed and car was taken without the key (it's got keyless fitted).
If the thieves managed to clone the key why did they smash the window, and if they didn't clone the key how did they manage to start the car?
Any thoughts?

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sorry to see your first post is one of a theft/stolen vehicle.

Doesn't make much sense.

Without the key I don't know how they would of done it or exited the multistorey car park at snow hill without being noticed and appearing on the ANPR exit cameras.
You wouldn't smash the window and the alarm going off and then attempt to drive off even if you could.
Unless it went on a low loader or towed. But then why smash the window.
And why in a multistorey car park when more people would be around.

As far as I am aware, without the key you wouldn't be going anywhere.

How did the police locate it?
Where was it found?

Fingers crossed for safe recovery for you with minimal damage. I presume the police are with holding info for a reason. (Other than telling you the method of entry).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
NCC

Post by NCC »

Firstly, sorry that this has happened to your car. I hate car thieves with a passion and hope the police get some kind of result (although I strongly suspect they won’t [emoji22]).

Like the post above, I don’t really get it? Car thieves are not only the scum of the earth but pretty professional when they’re after high-end vehicles. The whole smashing a window, then driving off with alarms merrily sounding and flashing, on a car with keyless entry, just doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s probably going to be painful to post but I’d be interested to hear what the police eventually have to say regarding the circumstances around the theft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
davidd

Post by davidd »

I wonder if the window was smashed later... Anyway I'm really sorry it happened, I hope you get the resolution you want.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've just read a news report from Birmingham where a Merc was stolen using keyless relay theft from a house and the window was smashed by the police to intimidate the driver when they stopped them.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

I would suggest they've not used your keyless in this case (relay theft) instead they have smashed window, leant in to plug a box which is all to easy to purchase into your ODB port and this enables them to start car and drive off within a few seconds

I'm sorry to hear this, I urge everyone that hasnt secured their ODB port to install something to stop this, there loads of producsts out the like autowatch Ghost etc.... or even if its just a cable tie to move the port out the way, 30 second job on the F Type!

Then for keyless entry cars you need to shield key from being relayed
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Ftypeharv wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:36 pm I would suggest they've not used your keyless in this case (relay theft) instead they have smashed window, leant in to plug a box which is all to easy to purchase into your ODB port and this enables them to start car and drive off within a few seconds

I'm sorry to hear this, I urge everyone that hasnt secured their ODB port to install something to stop this, there loads of producsts out the like autowatch Ghost etc.... or even if its just a cable tie to move the port out the way, 30 second job on the F Type!

Then for keyless entry cars you need to shield key from being relayed
That would be my view too. Smash the window to access the OBD port and start it from there. No other reason to break the window
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

sorry about the theft and like others would be interested to here the police verdict

apologies for sounding ignorant but where is the ODB port located as i'll look to tie it away
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

Backofthenet wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:28 pm sorry about the theft and like others would be interested to here the police verdict

apologies for sounding ignorant but where is the ODB port located as i'll look to tie it away
By your right knee

With drivers door open, remove plastic cover at end of dash - unclips no tools needed. Then the ODB port just unclips so gently pull up and cable tie to other cables out of reach. Remember to put back for your service ;)

In short this will mean if your targeted and window is smashed, when they lean in and discover port not where they expect it they will most likely move on. Without accessing the port, the car should be deadlocked and they cannot open the door to remove the panel to get back to where you’ve cable tied it! Hope this makes sense and is useful
Nick

Post by Nick »

Any update, 1 post then nothing
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770