Are newer F-Types quieter than their older brothers?

Anything F-Type related......
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

scm wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:17 pm Maybe they only apply the update to V8s? To stop others being jealous! :D

:mrgreen: :lol:
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Aren't 2 issues being mixed up here between newer and older models?

It's possible older models have a software upgrade that affects when the valves open, but cannot possibly affect the loudness, unless folks claim the software is so extensive it affects the amount and timing of fuel put in the system to pop and crackle. That seems highly unlikely to me. Valves either open or closed so the sound never changes, possibly just which mode opens the valves
Mines had all software upgrades and there is no difference whatsoever.
In any event I've added a module so I can select exactly what exhaust valve status I want whenever and it remembers or defaults to one status.

Newer models seemingly have changes to the exhaust system. Filters and different sized tips inners, so quite likely they are quieter. They of course can have the revised software too.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
NCC

Post by NCC »

I have to admit that I’m ever so slightly disappointed at the noise my less than 100 miles old, P380 makes. Admittedly, I’m pussyfooting around below 4k revs but it’s definitely quieter than the one I test drove initially. That was nearly 4 years ago (I really have taken a long time over this purchase!), so there’s quite a lot that could have changed in that time.

I have no insight into the extent of software revisions but I suspect this decrease in sound is far more likely driven by various exhaust system changes. In which case, it’s not that hard to do something about it, although I suspect that would result in warranty issues?

To be honest, I’m ok with the current ‘quiet’ setup and will look forward to seeing how things change with more miles and revs. Past experience tells me that it will definitely change, probably for the better. If not, I might just be in the market for a sports system.

Anyway, it’s a novelty for now. The other motors are a 2017 RRS SVR (which is waaay louder than the latest models) and a decatted, JP back box, TVR T350. So loud that it hurts (137db at full antisocial levels) [emoji48]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
sebby1990

Post by sebby1990 »

NCC wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 pm a decatted, JP back box, TVR T350. So loud that it hurts (137db at full antisocial levels)
I had one of these a few years back. Absolutely hilarious and with the decat it made a proper buzzsaw note above 4500rpm. Backfire to rival our F-Types!

My Jaguar has been behaving itself recently and has been as noisy as you'd like. Sometimes I think it's too loud, then I slap myself (mentally) and remind myself that there's no such thing, unless you're driving like a dick through a town centre!

Can't remember if I've mentioned this, but my dashcam picked up my Jaguar rep giving my V8S a little tickle on the throttle and remarking "f**king hell!"
Jaguar F-Type V8S, Mercedes-Benz ML63, Subaru Impreza WRX, Mini Cooper
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

NCC wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 pm I have to admit that I’m ever so slightly disappointed at the noise my less than 100 miles old, P380 makes. Admittedly, I’m pussyfooting around below 4k revs but it’s definitely quieter than the one I test drove initially. That was nearly 4 years ago (I really have taken a long time over this purchase!), so there’s quite a lot that could have changed in that time.

I have no insight into the extent of software revisions but I suspect this decrease in sound is far more likely driven by various exhaust system changes. In which case, it’s not that hard to do something about it, although I suspect that would result in warranty issues?

To be honest, I’m ok with the current ‘quiet’ setup and will look forward to seeing how things change with more miles and revs. Past experience tells me that it will definitely change, probably for the better. If not, I might just be in the market for a sports system.

Anyway, it’s a novelty for now. The other motors are a 2017 RRS SVR (which is waaay louder than the latest models) and a decatted, JP back box, TVR T350. So loud that it hurts (137db at full antisocial levels) [emoji48]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Try pulling fuse 15 to deactivate the valves, you will get a significant increase in volume when driving the car below 4000rpm, on start up and when revving it on idle. You can always put the fuse back and everything works as before. You also won't get any errors on your bord computer, only your ECU probably but I don't think anybody cares as long as you put it back before your inspection.

I noticed that even with the fuse pulled you can somewhat drive it quieter when going into normal mode rather than Dynamic. It won't even drone too much on the Autobahn like that.
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Best thing to do is pull the fuse, but even then, they're not going to be as loud as the less strict emissions compliant earlier cars. The GPF (gasoline particular filter) which is now in the cars, makes a big difference to the exhaust note, regardless of valves open/closed, as it's further up the exhaust system (just after the exhaust manifold).
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
falkenhayn

Post by falkenhayn »

Here is a small acceleration video of the V6 OPF for anyone interested:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post