Stolen yesterday

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There have been a few people signing up and posting something like fires, engine failures, for sale and then never coming back. Trolls.

However this OP joined in April and just the one post last night and hasn't signed back in since. So presuming an actual owner who has been quietly browsing around. Presume we'll get an update when they do. Fingers crossed for them.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

scm

Post by scm »

And he's probably upset - I know I would be!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Don’t know if it is better to hope I was wrong or right about the post.

Just didn’t want thoughts on how to start these cars without the keys on an open forum. Obd port lock works well.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
chastt

Post by chastt »

Hi Guys sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
I haven't got much news to report.
Window was smashed at time of theft as my wife and son came back to a pile of glass where the car once was.
Whilst the car park is a pay and display,and doesn't have ANPR on exit, the area where it was parked was covered by CCTV.....but the council will only release the film to the Cops due to GDPR.
Also there was a security guard on duty at the time, but he 'didn't see or hear anything'. Make of that what you wish, but he came across as being very genuine and helped my wife in the aftermath, even walking her to the nearby Police station to get an official incident number.
The car was found within an hour or so of it being stolen and the insurance company are telling us that it has very minor damage only, hopefully only the glass. Maybe the thieves drove it somewhere quiet, parked up and planned to wait for a day or so to see if was located ...who knows.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Glad it is back, concern they got it to start without the keys, I would have thought had they had a signal copier in close proximity when you locked the car they may have copied that but that should have enabled them to open the car without breaking the glass. Strange, unless as stated they have some way to start it via the OBD port access.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
chastt

Post by chastt »

My thoughts exactly Nick
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

This has been going on for years, its no secret just spend some time googling it and you will see. Heres a link from BBC watchdog back in 2014!!

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... -cars.html

As I said in previous post, you need to:

1 - move or diabsle ODB port - you car can be nicked without keys in seconds by breaking the window and accesing the ODB port FACT! On the F Type you can simply do with a cable tie or spend money on fancy products its up to you
2 - If you have keyless entry, not to be confused with the keyless start everyone has, you have added risk of relay theft where they pickup signal from key, needs to be close proximity and then they boost signal to open and start the car - This means they dont even need to break the window. So you either need to disable keyless entry or keey the key shielded

This is it, you can debate it all day long but the end of the day you either adopt the above or run ther risk
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Glad car seems to be ok then and hope you get it back soon.

Will be interesting to see whether OBD port or access panel has been moved/disturbed.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

simpleR wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:40 pm Glad car seems to be ok then and hope you get it back soon.

Will be interesting to see whether OBD port or access panel has been moved/disturbed.
It will not be modifed pal, they plug a small box of tricks into it then unplug and take it with them
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

There was quite a significant change in the security of JLR cars around 2015.
From then onwards the car has two keys and a thing called a KVM or keyless vehicle module located in the car.
These are programmed once only to talk to each other.
They cannot be re-programmed nor can additional keys be added.
There have been quite a few posts about this and the problems if you lose a key.
It involves replacing both the keys and installing a new KVM.
This rendered the theft method of going into the OBD port and programming a new key obsolete.
Obviously some F-Types were about before these changes so in those cases an OBD port protection device could be a good idea.
Personally a few pounds of pig iron in the form of a disklok tends to prevent theft as a belt and braces type thing.
:D