Stolen yesterday

Anything F-Type related......
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

PhilB wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:34 pm There was quite a significant change in the security of JLR cars around 2015.
From then onwards the car has two keys and a thing called a KVM or keyless vehicle module located in the car.
These are programmed once only to talk to each other.
They cannot be re-programmed nor can additional keys be added.
There have been quite a few posts about this and the problems if you lose a key.
It involves replacing both the keys and installing a new KVM.
This rendered the theft method of going into the OBD port and programming a new key obsolete.
Obviously some F-Types were about before these changes so in those cases an OBD port protection device could be a good idea.
Good information. The OP car was a 64 plate so before 2015 which might explain things.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

That's what I like about this forum. Lots of very useful information. Brilliant.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

PhilB wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:34 pm There was quite a significant change in the security of JLR cars around 2015.
From then onwards the car has two keys and a thing called a KVM or keyless vehicle module located in the car.
There have been quite a few posts about this and the problems if you lose a key.
This rendered the theft method of going into the OBD port and programming a new key obsolete.
Obviously some F-Types were about before these changes so in those cases an OBD port protection device could be a good idea.
Personally a few pounds of pig iron in the form of a disklok tends to prevent theft as a belt and braces type thing.
:D
It’s been beaten

Just a recent example for you

E12A374A-77EF-4C0F-9678-0528CB88B772.png

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Another Paragon Fleet Solutions car.

Could of been a relay theft otherwise how would they of got in, with no details of smashed windows etc.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Personally a few pounds of pig iron in the form of a disklok tends to prevent theft as a belt and braces type thing.
:D
Quick update on this one as Phil's excellent post got me thinking... when in 2015 did it change?

I have scoured through the system trying to find when the change actually occurred and there was a change to how keys were coded in 2015 which I think was related to the above.

The older system is on cars 00001 to 08869 and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys.

08870 and later should be the later system where keys cannot be added via the OBD port without replacing other hardware components as per Phil post above. Standard disclaimer applies here folks, this is only what I have found online.

HTH anyone considering an Auto Ghost with an older model.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Fantastic information, will check mine 64plate thanks
64 plate my15

So many numbers for various components, is this an C/B body number? Or IPC Ecu number?

These seem the closest to 8869 for me, typical one above other below.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

It is sequence number, so last five numbers of the VIN as displayed via the windscreen.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Received from Phil (mod) - Thanks Phil.

SSM73234 Smart Key Replacement and Consequential Replacement of Remote Function
F-TYPE / X152

Issue: Vehicles requiring new or replacement smart keys due to additional keys required, or key remote loss will require a new Remote Function Actuator (RFA)

Cause: After 30th March 2015 all of the above vehicle lines have a software update applied to the ‘Start Authorisation System’ at PDI, which makes their RFA ‘read only’. After this point, should a customer require additional smart key(s) (due to loss etc.), the RFA will require replacement. As previously, the customer will still be liable for the key fob, cutting of the mechanical key blade, and programming of the RFA, but not the cost of the new RFA itself. This SSM refers to Field Service Action K285v3 therefore exists to cover the cost of procurement and fitting of a new RFA to ensure that customers are not disadvantaged by this product enhancement."
NCC

Post by NCC »

As someone else has said, what an excellent forum this is! Quality information that can benefit all of us. Thanks [emoji106]

Good to know only minimal damage to the car. Hope you get it back soon and this kind of thing never happens to you again OP. [emoji1696]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY2020 V6S RWD auto, Indus Silver, Pimento performance seats, Ebony suedecloth, Exterior carbon pack, Black 5039 alloys, Interior black pack, carbon console, heated steering wheel (vital!), climate pack, c/f dynamics, pointless ambient lighting!
chastt

Post by chastt »

Thanks for all the help people.
I didn't know about this 2015 mod to the JLR range, and indeed was charged a small fortune for a new key and reprogramming when I lost the spare key to my 2016 F-Pace. Explains a lot.
The F-Type has now been released by the Police, but I need to get a key to the repair shop so that they can pick it up, only once they've had a chance to check it out will I know what other (apart from the window) damage there has been.
Just a little bit to add to they story, my insurance company, Admiral, will only give us a loan car for the time it's at the bodyshop, so we've been one car down for the last week, and to add insult the loaner will be a 1-ltr runabout (probably with stickers all over it saying 'I'm a twat driving a bodyshop loaner...), so I think it's a trip to Thrifty and hire a decent set of wheels for the time it's off road. Costs not recoverable, but if they can fix the car in a week or so then it's worth a few hundred pounds to stop the embarrassment.