When To Buy A Convertible?

Anything F-Type related......
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

Hi Folks,

Currently considering taking the plunge on a V8R roadster. I've seen a couple of cars around the £60k mark, and 18mths old, which appear to be good value at this point in time.

I'm in no immediate rush to buy, as it will be more of an expensive toy I'll keep for a number of years, but when is the best time to buy a convertible? I would like to think just now I'll get a good deal, but at the same time it'll potentially be another 6 months older before it sees any real use?

My question is, do people think I will get a better deal on a convertible just now (and still be quids in come spring), or do I wait 6 months or so and buy nearer spring time? What's peoples opinion on the value of the same car just now at the end of the convertible season, versus the same car in 6 months time?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

I purchased mine end of Jan - got a great deal, still not convertible weather but a good few months closer to when I would actually use it

I then realised that as long as it’s not raining - it’s convertible weather! Make sure it has heated seats, that’s absolutely key!

Good luck with your search
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Buy anytime between end November and Feb and you'll get yourself the best deal possible! I got a great deal and only lost £500 when I sold my V6S convertible (in the summer) it to a dealer to move onto my V8S.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you’re not in a rush then the best time is when you come across the colour and spec you want.
The current cars in that price range are good, but I’m not overly taken with the wheels.
When you find the right one be sure not to drool too much when negotiating - it’s a real give-away 😉
And after negotiating and “in passing” mention that of course they will put the 2 year full Jag warranty on it - then make it a deal breaker if they don’t have the confidence.
They won’t lose the sale when so close to getting your money.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Lunar wrote:And after negotiating and “in passing” mention that of course they will put the 2 year full Jag warranty on it - then make it a deal breaker if they don’t have the confidence.

Unfortunately approved used cars only come with a 1yr warranty now
HNS

Post by HNS »

dbv6s wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am
Lunar wrote:And after negotiating and “in passing” mention that of course they will put the 2 year full Jag warranty on it - then make it a deal breaker if they don’t have the confidence.

An additional 1 year warranty is about £680 without breakdown cover and about £750 with.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Let winter be your bargaining tool!

Who in their right mind would buy one then? - That's your time to buy.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

dbv6s wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am

That’s the official line yes.
But you can let the dealer decide if he wants to lose the sale or not.
Polite but clear and firm usually wins the best deal.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Choose the car you want when you see it. 15
years of soft top sports cars tells me there really isn’t
the old ‘Winter factor’ on prestige ragtop cars. They live in garages are usually second or third cars and sell anytime.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Cool Hand Luke

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I bought my car last October and often drove it with the roof down over the winter. If the sun is shining I'll get the roof down. Heated seats, heated steering wheel and hat and scarf help 🤙
MY 2018 red convertible 380 R dynamic, black pack, red seatbelts, heated flat bottomed steering wheel, rear camera and front park aids, 20’ wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post