Catalyst fail.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Mil light came on last night so call Jaguar assist with roof button. He's just been out & seems like No 1 Catalyst below threshold. Says probably needs a new Cat at one side. Booking into Dealers tomorrow. Car under 3 years old so I assume it will be no charge.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Update. Car booked in at Hatfields, Wakefield in 12days time. Asked about a loan car. They are giving me a E-pace which I look forward to driving, having had a Evoque. They say they'll need car for a few days so maybe they will put a new Catalytic converter on. Has anyone had to have this done on a F-type. Assist guy said it's not one he's come across on the V8.
Alasdair63

Post by Alasdair63 »

I’ve only ever heard of the cat sensors failing
Corrie grey svr Coupé
Carbon graphite vorsteiner wheels
Kw lowering springs
PB big brakes
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Any symptoms or just the light on the dash?
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

No symptoms. The car drives fine & dealer says ok to use until it goes in. They did say they may need it for a couple of days. It was the Jaguar assist guy that said it needed a new cat. I must say I was surprised when he said that & thought it would just be a sensor fault. Car only done 19800 miles.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Update. Went out in car tonight & the engine light as now gone out. It has happened twice since ownership. 1st time in April this year 2 weeks into ownership. Callout said same as this time, bank 1 catalyst under threshold. Code P0420-00. This time he left the light on so the dealer could see it. Just hope they do something other than say well it's ok now. Which it clearly is not. Have the 2 print out sheets to take with me. Anyway fancied driving round in a Epace for a bit. Plus I won't be bothered if it rains.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Had the car in at Hatfields today & it is the No 1 Catalytic converter that has gone. New 1 with all the bits ordered £1000. Glad it's still under warrantee. At least I can still use the car till next Tue when it's booked in. They loaned me a new'ish 19 plate XE very nice car to drive. 2.0 petrol.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Car back in today for new catalyst fitting. See what they loan me this time.
abateman

Post by abateman »

Sorry for the late post, what’s a few years between f-Type owners 🤣

Having the same issue on mine now, I have a 2015 R AWD that’s done 24k miles and have had the issue for about one year. No driving issues at all, told by Jardines in Slough to use 99 grade fuel and see how it goes- a while on and it’s probably worse…. Light on all the time.

Well it failed the MOT , not for emissions or anything else…just having Orange light on the dash. Taken it back in and paid for two hours investigation and the manager said it’s not changed one for a long time and not in such a low mileage car.

Well see the attached feedback, now looking at the best part of £6k to get it all changed!!!!! Had a V8 BMW M3 last and never had any issues at all, in fact I haven’t ever changed and exhaust or exhaust part on any car I have owned, including the wife and kids cars. Never.

I love the noise but do they have a design fault? Does the noise come at a cost, sooty deposits? Something can’t be right, surely. I have asked for the dealer to open a customer care case with Jaguar, let’s see what they say I guess - just need to wait 24/48hrs.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Do I stick with Jaguar exhaust or go off piste?

Thanks
Ashley

IMG_0828.jpeg

Last edited by abateman on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Can't the cats be reclaimed by washing them through with a suitable solvent?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16