Car started itself

Anything F-Type related......
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Jaguars and LR were very susceptible to problems on battery drain from sitting listening to music, cleaning the car with a door open, etc. It’s much more than the music that is running.. I once sat outside my daughters school and in 45 mins was unable to start the car. They later changed software to limit time of accessories with no engine running.
I assume F has the same logic
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:01 pm Jaguars and LR were very susceptible to problems on battery drain from sitting listening to music, cleaning the car with a door open, etc. It’s much more than the music that is running.. I once sat outside my daughters school and in 45 mins was unable to start the car. They later changed software to limit time of accessories with no engine running.
I assume F has the same logic
Thanks for the info.

I can see why the F-Type power management shuts down after approx 10 minutes with no engine running (to conserve the battery).

This doesn't explain why the engine restarted itself while I was sitting inside my parked and unlocked car, listening to the radio? On the other hand, If the car was parked but locked, with me sitting inside it listening to the radio, why would the engine restart by itself? Is this because the InControl App may still be registered in the previous owner’s name?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

So did the previous owner open the app and try starting the car! Wonder how shocked he was when it worked!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:54 pm So did the previous owner open the app and try starting the car! Wonder how shocked he was when it worked!
If it was, then the previous owner wasn't the only one that was shocked......it startled me as I was in chill mode listening to music at the time!

I thought I may have found the answer to my car starting by itself when I was parked up and listening to the radio........On the ownerinfo.jaguar.com site in the AUTO STOP/START section it says the engine will also restart if the battery charge becomes low. Only thing is, the ignition has to be on for AUTO STOP/START to work. The ignition was switched off at the time.

Will have to see what comes out of my visit to the Jaguar main dealership at the end of this week with my V5 document and driving licence to check if the InControl App is registered in the previous owner’s name. If it is, they will deregister it.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

On mine you cannot have the radio on without the ignition on
I find it so unlikely that of all the time since you had the car someone tried it at the exact moment you were listening to music
I Ali thought remote only worked if the vas is locked
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Not sure why your radio doesn't work without the ignition on? Must be due to model variations?

I have the 2016 V6 S Coupe and if I want to put the radio on without the ignition being on, I just press the button on the centre console.

You are right in saying that remote only works if the car is locked.

The following information is taken from ownerinfo.jaguar.com

The Remote Climate screen allows the engine to be started remotely (for vehicles with an automatic transmission), and to run for up to 30 minutes to provide a comfortable temperature inside the cabin in advance of the driver entering the vehicle.

Remote climate will not function if any of the following conditions exist:

The vehicle's fuel level is low.
The vehicle's battery charge level is low.
The vehicle is not locked.
A window, door, bonnet, or the Luggage compartment is open.
The engine has been manually started.
A system error with any required vehicle system has been detected.
A theft has been detected.
The vehicle's alarm is sounding.
A crash event has been detected.
The hazard warning lamps are switched on.
The automatic transmission is not in Park (P).
The brake pedal is pressed.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I've eventually found out why my F-Type restarted itself when I was sitting inside it, parked up, unlocked, ignition off and listening to the radio.

After speaking with a Jaguar master technician today he told me that when the smart key is inside the vehicle with the ignition off, the car doesn't completely shut down so it will automatically restart itself when needed, to conserve the battery. It did this because I was listening to the radio for quite some time.

This was nothing to do with the InControl App being registered in the previous owner’s name. I have now been to my Jaguar main dealership, de-registered the previous owner and replaced this with my own details :-)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

That's good to know - mystery solved!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

At least I'll be prepared for it next time......instead of thinking Casper the friendly ghost has started my car! lol
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

I think this thread is a good reminder that people buying second hand need to remove the previous owner from the system as it CAN and DOES happen that previous owner starts the car (as per OP experience).
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible