Engine Warning Light

Anything F-Type related......
Squibletts

Post by Squibletts »

I bought a MY16 F-Type 2 months ago.
I month ago I parked it in my garage with a cover on it and went on vacation for 2 weeks.
On return I took the car out for a run and after 3 miles, the Engine Warning Light illuminated.
An OBDII reading indicated that there was a fault with the knock sensor and the low pressure fuel sensor.
I called the dealer and the car was returned under warranty.
They informed me that the same faults were detected and that even though the knock sensor was very inexpensive, it was buried in the engine and replacement would involve removing the supercharger and involve a minimum of 8 hours work.
When they finally got to 2 sensors, they discovered that both sensors were fine.
But mouse had removed 1/3 of the foam insulation from under the engine cover and used it to built a nest under the supercharger. It had then eaten the insulation off the cables entering each of the connectors of the respective sensors. ( photo's were supplied)
As can be imagined, this shocking situation was not covered by any warranty. But as it could not actually be determined if the mouse was there before or after I purchased the car, the dealer magnanimously agreed to split the GBP 1000 bill.
This has never happened with any other Porsche/Ferrari/Aston that has been in the same garage.
I don't know if Jaguar use super tasty cables or if their engine spaces are warmer and more inviting.
But if vermin are suspected to be living in you garage, not only would I recommend getting some deterrents in place, I would remove the engine cover every so often and look for signs of disappearing foam. It could save considerable non warranty expense.

SOLDES

Post by SOLDES »

the insulation is soya based on most recent cars and is a treat for rodents … it's a problem which is rising more and more with all car brands
Better place a ultrasonic rodent deterrent device near the car

Nick
P300 First edition
Eiger grey / Mars red
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

You got away lightly. My bill was circa £1300 for rodent damage. Coincidentally it had also eaten through the knock sensor wire under the supercharger.
I bought 10 bait traps from Amazon and placed in a circle around where I park the car. I've also installed an ultrasonic scarer under the bonnet that's permanently on. I got one with the lowest current drain going and will see how long before I experience flat battery issues. The longest she's been left unused is 48 hours with no problems so far.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Oh my god. I'm buying a cat. Oh no iv'e got one. No one that eats mice. Sorry !!!!.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
davidd

Post by davidd »

Oh my word thats s**t, and we have mice. Will set some poison boxes out later.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Derivative wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm I bought 10 bait traps from Amazon and placed in a circle around where I park the car. I've also installed an ultrasonic scarer under the bonnet that's permanently on. I got one with the lowest current drain going and will see how long before I experience flat battery issues. The longest she's been left unused is 48 hours with no problems so far.
Best to place the traps along walls, corners etc. for Max effectiveness
Wilko does a cheap all plastic spring trap. Preloaded bait (2 for £4)
I live in rural area have dozens of mice and get a catch every week. Critters eat all sorts but thankfully left the Jag alone, probably as those not trapped and dead eat peanuts that my wife seems to drop everywhere while topping up bird feeders...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post