Carbon fibre

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

I have recently been thinking about what to change on my f type this year, what would be different?

Have come up with a carbon fibre bonnet, would be weight saving, different, special, see you tube video looks great. In digging around have found a good lad who could make the mould and bonnet, just a bit pricy to get both, hence my post.

The biggest cost is the mould, just for one bonnet so wondering if anybody else was interested as the mould cost could be shared?

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Would it not affect the Pedestrian Protection System?

...potential shards of carbon-fibre flying everywhere if the bonnet shattered.

Each to their own of course, but I'm sure you could have a nice trip to the Swiss Alps or somewhere for the same money and some great memories.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Gasgas... ..just wrap-it-up..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I’m with Dan, the weight saving won’t be much more than leaving your mobile at home or having a dump 🤪
chicb

Post by chicb »

As a Design Engineer, its not as simple as getting someone to knock up a mould. You have to factor in the stress points, ie hinges, the flex on the bonnet etc. You really need finite element analysis done to see where it has to be strengthened that's why Jaguar have so many Designers. Does your man have access to an Autoclave, which is a must for carbon fibre. Whats your insurance going to say about a bespoke bonnet. Uninsurable as it won't have any crash test certification :o
Probably cost you a lot more than the value of your car at the very least. Want carbon look, as someone says, get it wrapped
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post