Trip to New Forest and Cotswolds.

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I need advice... .. my car is LHD and the last time I was in the UK it was in a Discovery 3.. 8-)

Now I have the handicap of the 'steering-wheel-on-the-wrong-side' and this makes me less savvy in traffic,
on top of driving on the 'other side' as what I am used to, prone to have the wrong reflexes.

Now given trunkroads and hedges I am not sure if I dare to take the F-Type [ ferries, ramps].
I found that some Ferries have the option to reserve 'little ground clearance' or 'extra wide space' .
That cures the wrestling on/off the boats.

The chunnel I do not dare to use : I am a mining engineer and I do not like tunnels under water.
Probably safer then a ferry , just claustrofobia maybe..

Remains : trunkroads and hedges..

Should I take the F-Pace, for safety and keeping dry palms... :?
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

scm

Post by scm »

Stick a label on your steering wheel saying "Keep Left!" and you'll be fine. But stay away from the Southampton area, please. ;)
Oh, and keep out of the hedges .... :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

F type or F pace, surely a decision based solely on practicality - if it fits in the F type, decision made!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

scm wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:36 pm Stick a label on your steering wheel saying "Keep Left!" and you'll be fine. But stay away from the Southampton area, please. ;) Oh, and keep out of the hedges .... :lol:
My wife always starts at breakfast "we -are-in-the-UK" .. I reply "thanks reminding me of the full breakfast option".. :mrgreen:
Then, in the car : "Where do you go, off the drive " ... Me : "on the side without oncoming traffic"... :lol:

Anyway SCM, I expected you to be more hospitable then "STAY AWAY"... :oops:

@GusA : we are only two this time.. ..so luggage fits OK. Its just if my ego can stand the lack of overview.. :?
I prefer apple-crumble over humble-pie.. ;)
scm

Post by scm »

Dan_Veluwe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 pm Anyway SCM, I expected you to be more hospitable then "STAY AWAY"... :oops:
I was thinking of your welfare - didn't want your holiday spoilt by you bumping into a miserable old git! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

scm wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:19 pm I was thinking of your welfare - didn't want your holiday spoilt by you bumping into a miserable old git! :lol:
..just one.. :lol:

Makes me think of the guy driving on the Autobahn, listening to a traffic-info on the radio.. " ...be ware of a ghost driver.. "..
The guys shouts out in amazement "... only one ? Hundreds you mean.." :roll:
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

I find that when driving in LHD countries, having the sat nav to remind you which way you should be going round roundabouts or at junctions is very useful and gives reassurance. Have a safe trip; don’t forget the 40mph limit and watch for the New Forest ponies.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@NeilH.
Thanks ! We've been 2x before to the New Forest. We have a NF pony named Chico....

.. ..my youngest daughter wanted to visit his family [ she was 12yrs then].

Some years later we discovered he was born in the Netherlands, 80Km from where we live... :lol:

..Chico is the small one.. ..many, many years ago..

DSC06147.JPG

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

The majority of the time the heavy traffic means you'll just be following cars in front anyway.

The only thing that's different about the F type is the 3/4 vision when joining from some slip roads. But if you have a rear camera it's less of a problem. Passenger can be your eyes anyway.

New Forest has a 40mph (60kph) limit and will be full of Dutch campervans anyway 😆
Last edited by mickjaguar on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I really don’t think it’s a problem driving on the opposite side.
I have both LHD & RHD cars/Jeeps and drive both in UK and mainland, so all combinations
You just need to focus, avoid passenger chatter, music, when starting and decision points and there’s no issues
To me the biggest difference is adapting to varying laws by country, speed limits, priorities on islands, etc

Ferries - can’t comment as only takes Jeeps and they don’t have issues of clearance :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post