Chips and gravel rash

Anything F-Type related......
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi All,
I am very impressed with the detailled and ceramic coated car pictures and would be really interested to do my car. My main concern is that it has the battle scars for 6 years of road use and I'd like to ask all you knowledgable people how you would handle the following chips and gravel rash before sealing them in with the coating.

20200501_152214.jpg

20200501_152249.jpg

20200501_152128.jpg

20200501_152320.jpg

2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Long term correct solution is to have panels resprayed. A good body shop can do this, for reasonable rates.

Had front nose, splitter, lower fins, grill surround resprayed last year for about £500.00.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
badger

Post by badger »

scharlton wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am Hi All,
I am very impressed with the detailled and ceramic coated car pictures and would be really interested to do my car. My main concern is that it has the battle scars for 6 years of road use and I'd like to ask all you knowledgable people how you would handle the following chips and gravel rash before sealing them in with the coating.
swirls and minor scratches can be corrected before coating, but with rust spots breaks in the paint and any dents you would be throwing your money away, respray or chips away would be the way to go before correction and then ceramic coating would be my advice. just had my car coated after correction work and that was £1k so add on top the cost to get your gravel rashes etc on top of that.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Pointless detailing or ceramic coating until those problems are corrected by respray. Like painting on a poorly prepared wall.
IMHO they are too big and prominent for localised repair and would visit a bodyshop for some professional opinion and quotes. Also speak to your proposed detailer as they will give valuable input from experience and close inspection
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
chicb

Post by chicb »

Ceramic coating will not prevent chips or gravel rash. It only makes it easier to keep your car clean as dirt does not adhere so easily & washing is so easy as the water beads & runs off. To stop gravel rash you need the areas resprayed & paint protection film applied. The newer ones are self healing unless punctured. The cost however is considerably higher than ceramic coating
F type convertible, (gone)
Range Rover Sport,
S63 AMG Coupe Mercedes
Porsche 911 (992) Carrera 4S