F-Type Thatcham Category 1 Approved Security System

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

In case anyone needed it (e.g. for insurance purposes etc) this Jaguar document shows that the security system fitted to the 2016 F-Type is Thatcham category 1 approved and meets EU regulations 97/116 and EU directive 95/56 EC (it’s stated at the bottom).

I’ve also attached the Thatcham Research Vehicle Security National Listing document (Issue 95: JUNE 2018). Under “PASSENGER CARS Category 1 Alarm/Immobiliser Original Equipment Systems” it shows this is applicable to the F-Type (all models) April 2013 - on.......(see page 11).

1.png

2.png

Thatcham Research Vehicle Security National Listing. Issue 95 - JUNE 2018.pdf
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Indeed it is.

...and a lot of good it does Range Rover owners :roll:

Maybe they need to extend the categories now like with white goods being A+++

+1 for that :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Lunar wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:53 pm Indeed it is.

...and a lot of good it does Range Rover owners :roll:

Maybe they need to extend the categories now like with white goods being A+++

+1 for that :D

What's the score with regards to Range Rover owners?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Well they are supposedly one of the most frequently stolen cars from what I hear.

The last time I had a hire car supplier from JLR it was a brand new RR Sport and came with a steering lock I had to use every time I parked up.

Not sure what the issue is, other than being supposedly desirable to export or part out, but I assume it's something to do with keyless signal grabbing.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I thought that may have been what you were referring to but wasn’t sure.

I have a hefty steering wheel lock which I always use on my F-Type. I do this like ‘automatic pilot’ e.g. when you put your seat belt on without thinking about it and I’ve done it for years with my cars. The way I see it is that even if a thief could remove the steering lock, it’s a visible deterrent which may make the thief think twice before attempting to do so?

If the Range Rovers are being stolen because of ‘Keyless signal grabbing’ why don’t the owners disable Keyless entry by following this procedure as described by member daytona650......

"At last - there is a way to do this. I've done it on my 2013 F-Type and it works fine. I'm not bothered about keyless entry and it's a huge theft problem now.

Original posting for credit here: https://www.facebook.com/lespotts4wh...2689120106801/

What is Relay Theft?

Relay Theft is the process criminals use to steal a car with keyless entry. Firstly, they buy a relay amplifier and a relay transmitter; these electronic devices can be purchased easily on the internet.

Next, they identify a house with a nice car parked outside and by using these devices, one criminal then stands by the car with his transmitter, while a second, with his receiver walks around the perimeter of the house. If the car key is close enough the receiver will detect its signal, amplify it and send it to the accomplice’s transmitter.

The accomplice’s transmitter then effectively becomes the key, and the car then thinks the real key is nearby, where upon the thief is able to open the car, get in and drive away. The whole process can take as little as 60 seconds and can be completed in near silence.

With the keyless system switched off it is impossible for someone to open your vehicle using this method.

1. Open driver's door (using fob)
2. Key fob inside car
3. Press headlamp button on the key fob 3 times
4. Press unlock button on the key fob once
5. Keys outside car
6. Close driver's door
7. Lock car using the fob
8. Unlock car using the fob

Same procedure again to re-enable it, except press the lock button at step 4.

You have to make sure (i think) you first unlock and then re-lock the car with the fob, not the keyless button on the door.

Your car is now more secure."

viewtopic.php?t=2226

Also PhilB recently posted this video on 'Land Rover Keyless Entry Relay Theft' which shows how to disable and enable Keyless entry.

Last edited by RPSN on Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

That's good information and very clear.

I don't have keyless on mine but also on early versions you could start the car using the OBD port.

And being an electric rather than mechanical steering wheel lock that then becomes redundant too.

Granted you first have to break the drivers window - unless a convertible owner has left their car roof down, and personally this always amazes me - but some people will happily be prepared to do that if they can be away with your pride and joy in a minute tops.

I always unclip my OBD port from the bracket and tuck it right up under the dashboard where someone leaning in over the door would struggle to articulate their arm to get to - the better option someone posted on here in the past is to remove the dashboard end cap and feed the OBD into there.

You just have to remember to put it back in its bracket for servicing - or maybe not if you don't want your software messing with without discussion first - or to not log out properly and leave your battery draining!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

The reason Range Rovers and other SUV's are targetted is because of demand.
Eastern European and home grown gangs will steal them and either break for parts or mostly straight into a shipping container and out of the country.
The African continent will swallow up many as will parts of the middle east.
If you want to keep the keyless entry going and still counter relay theft (Latest RR's have a new system so aren't as vulnerable) then use Faraday bags for the keys when not in use.
A good steering wheel lock is always a good deterrent irrespective of the make of car.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Lunar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:23 pm That's good information and very clear.

I don't have keyless on mine but also on early versions you could start the car using the OBD port.

And being an electric rather than mechanical steering wheel lock that then becomes redundant too.

Granted you first have to break the drivers window - unless a convertible owner has left their car roof down, and personally this always amazes me - but some people will happily be prepared to do that if they can be away with your pride and joy in a minute tops.

I always unclip my OBD port from the bracket and tuck it right up under the dashboard where someone leaning in over the door would struggle to articulate their arm to get to - the better option someone posted on here in the past is to remove the dashboard end cap and feed the OBD into there.

You just have to remember to put it back in its bracket for servicing - or maybe not if you don't want your software messing with without discussion first - or to not log out properly and leave your battery draining!

I don’t have Keyless entry on mine either (no button on door handle), which, by the looks of it, is a good thing with regards to vehicle security. Strange how the copy of the full 'Spec Check' I have for my car shows ‘Jaguar Smart Key System with Keyless start and Keyless entry’ which is in the list of optional equipment and the price paid is £450?.........It must be because even though there's no button on the exterior door handle I can still open the car with the key fob and I can start/stop the engine by pressing on the start/stop button on the center console.

If the electric steering lock became redundant, I always have a hefty steering wheel lock fitted when I park my car up......I’m ‘Old School’ in that respect!

Like you, I also detached my OBD port and I’ve tucked it up deep under the dashboard to make a more difficult for a thief to get at (I only pop it back into the fascia for servicing or diagnostic etc). I would be interested to see more details on removing the dashboard end cap to feed the OBD into it, if you or anyone else can retrieve that information?

I’ve had plenty of work done on my car at my Jaguar main dealer and have become friendly with the Jaguar Master Technician who I insist works on my vehicle. If there are any software updates required I ask him to ring me beforehand to ensure I am ok with it as I don’t want anything done which doesn’t appeal to me e.g. making the exhaust note quieter etc etc.

I now have my car serviced at a very good independent garage and I do the same there.

Out of curiosity, if the technician didn’t log out properly after doing a software upgrade etc are there any obvious tell tale signs which would indicate a drain on the battery e.g. hazard warning triangle remaining on etc? Unless of course the battery went completely flat and you couldn’t start the car.
Last edited by RPSN on Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

PhilB wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:24 pm The reason Range Rovers and other SUV's are targetted is because of demand.
Eastern European and home grown gangs will steal them and either break for parts or mostly straight into a shipping container and out of the country.
The African continent will swallow up many as will parts of the middle east.
If you want to keep the keyless entry going and still counter relay theft (Latest RR's have a new system so aren't as vulnerable) then use Faraday bags for the keys when not in use.
A good steering wheel lock is always a good deterrent irrespective of the make of car.

Ah I see.

Good to hear that the latest Range Rovers have a new system which isn’t as vulnerable to theft.

I keep both sets of my F-Type keys in faraday bags even though there isn’t a button on the door handle to open it via the Keyless method. Perhaps I’m being over cautious but it’s worth it on a car like this!

My hefty steering wheel lock always goes on when I park the car up.......it's second nature to me.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Even if you don't have keyless entry, the ignition is still keyless as in you can keep the key in your pocket and once the car detects it's inside the car it will start on the button.
Using the relay method fools the car into thinking the key is within 1 metre of the door so it will open if the car has keyless entry.
They then fool the car into thinking the key is inside so it will start so it's still good to shield the keys even if you don't have keyless entry.
The keys are active 24/7 sending out a weak signal which can be picked up close to the car to allow entry and start.
That's why people are surprised the batteries tend to go at roughly the same time.
The newer system in the latest RR's will have the thieves working on it right now to find a way round it though.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post