Air con smell

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

scm wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:25 pm I bet that stopping and starting the engine has a more detrimental effect on the engine than it ticking over for half a minute during a temporary stop.

You don’t have to worry too much about whether your engine or its various components are being damaged by frequent stop/starts. They’ve been engineered for it, and they’re different than the components in a vehicle without this technology.

The widespread application of stop/start has only been possible because of improvements in things like battery technology, bearings, oils and control systems in vehicles.

Won’t be going any further on this subject so back to the topic now!.........I hope the OP gets rid of the damp smell coming from the car’s air vents ;)
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thanks for the follow up comments everyone.

Temporarily I’m getting round this by switching off stop/start; and I won’t get into the relative merits of that.

What is still challenging me is that it’s only on stop/start that it happens; not after I’ve parked up and then started the car say an hour later.

Car not due for a service till next year, and I’m not inclined to use one of those aerosol bombs as think that will only hide the issue for a while. If I can get the instructions I’ll try to get to the filter and clean it or replace and see how that goes. I’ll update when I have done that.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

I never got the bad smell. Well not true really, when I 1st bought the car my blue jeans ended up like brown corderoy . After I got used to the power the smell went away. As for stop start. Synthetic oils take care of the motor & how many of you have had to have new starter motors fitted. Pointless me having the air con turned on, with the roof down all the time. Regards all.
Steve.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

JamesOC wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:31 pm Car not due for a service till next year, and I’m not inclined to use one of those aerosol bombs as think that will only hide the issue for a while. If I can get the instructions I’ll try to get to the filter and clean it or replace and see how that goes. I’ll update when I have done that.

Replacing the pollen filter is an easy job to do.

I’ve attached the '2015 F-Type (X152) Maintenance Schedules' document. Scroll down to pages 168-170 for the pollen filter removal and installation instructions.

Also have a look at this link which gives clear instructions on the filter replacement viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4438

If, after replacing the filter, the smell is still coming from the air vents, try an air-con cleaner. If you’d rather not use the air-con bomb (which are excellent), try the ‘Normfest Viro Air Fresh Plus - A/C and Ventilation System Cleaner 300ml’ that I mentioned earlier in this thread. This should kill the bacteria that is causing the damp smell.
2015 F-Type (X152) Maintenance Schedules.pdf
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

steviegtr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:40 pm Pointless me having the air con turned on, with the roof down all the time.
But not pointless turning it on to avoid the seals drying out and the refrigerant leaking out. Use it or lose it! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Thanks RPSN, very helpful.

I’ll take a look.

Edit:
Getting to filter was easy, thanks for the info.
It was quite clean still, And definitely odourless; but I have given it a quick clean with the Dyson and wiped all round the air intake. So if smell returns, I’ll get one of the airbombs or the Normfest and give it a go.
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

scm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am
steviegtr wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:40 pm Pointless me having the air con turned on, with the roof down all the time.
But not pointless turning it on to avoid the seals drying out and the refrigerant leaking out. Use it or lose it! ;)
Yes something I do with all my cars/vans.Just to get the comp oil round. Not the bike though.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

JamesOC wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:19 pm Getting to filter was easy, thanks for the info.
It was quite clean still, And definitely odourless; but I have given it a quick clean with the Dyson and wiped all round the air intake. So if smell returns, I’ll get one of the airbombs or the Normfest and give it a go.

Glad you’ve accessed the pollen filter and all seems ok.

If the issue still persists, remove the filter, re-secure the plastic lid and cover, then close the bonnet. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature (approx 10 mins). With the air-con switched on, see if the smell still comes from the air vents when stopping and starting the car as this is when you have previously been noticing it.

If the smell has gone, you know it was caused by the filter which should then be replaced, but if not, try the Normfest air-con cleaner.

If all else fails to cure the problem, then being that your car is MY20 and you’ve only had it for approx seven weeks, perhaps you should take it back to the dealer for them to rectify?

Going forward, the Jaguar Service Schedule specifies that the pollen filter should be renewed every 24 months or 32,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Hope you get it sorted!
Last edited by RPSN on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Cheers, yes I’ll try that.
Was also considering using the bomb with filter removed and canister firing into that air intake, rather than the recirculating from in the cabin to get to the parts that would be missed.
Yes I would go the dealer route, unfortunately they’re not very local 250 mile round trip; maybe an excuse for a longer run out 😂.

Thanks again, appreciate your advice.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

If it’s not the pollen filter that is causing the issue and you decide to use the bomb, this should be from within the car with doors and windows closed.

Here’s some info on how to use the bomb.......

Air conditioning aerosol ‘bomb’ cleaners cannot be effective unless the evaporator is dried first. For this to happen, the heater must be run for around ten minutes with the air conditioning switched-off. The heater is then set to ‘recirculate’ and the air flow set towards the windscreen before the aerosol is positioned within a footwell and activated.

As the engine has to be running with nobody inside the car whilst the aerosol empties, the car must not be left unattended. The aerosol’s contents should pass through and disinfect the air ducts. Replacing the pollen filter afterwards is a prudent move too.

Hopefully you’ll be able to rectify the issue without the need for a 250 mile round trip to the dealer ;)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post