Extended warranty looking like it's worth its weight...

Anything F-Type related......
captainham

Post by captainham »

I took out the extended warranty last year for about £800 when the manufacturer warranty ended, and subsequently needed it to fix an electrical gremlin that would have cost me £1500 otherwise (replacement ECU for the rear parking/traffic sensors which took them about 2 weeks to diagnose and fix).

I umm'd and arr'd about renewing this year as it was up to about £900, but I decided I should as I couldn't tell if the engine sounded ever so slightly "off" or if it was me just imagining it because I'm paranoid...but then promptly left the car in the garage unused as lockdown loomed etc.

Anyway, I've started using the car a bit more now and the noise is definitely worse, with a rattle/tinkling at idle and a very pronounced "clonking" upon engine shutdown, leading me to suspect with about 95% certainty that it's the known issue with the supercharger coupler/torsion isolator becoming prematurely worn (covered in service bulletin JTB00356).

Booked in for next week to diagnose properly but if I'm right, that's about another £1500 fix if it wasn't for the warranty...I think I'll find it much easier to decide whether to renew or not when we get to next year...
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT

scm

Post by scm »

I've got two more days to make up my mind, too. Decisions, decisions ....
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
captainham

Post by captainham »

scm wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm I've got two more days to make up my mind, too. Decisions, decisions ....
Based on my experiences...no-brainer for me! But I appreciate it's a bit of an outlay
F-Type V6S IRR Coupe MY2016 AT
scz4

Post by scz4 »

I don't think I've ever been better off with a warranty on my BMW's, but it's a nice insurance policy, literally.

Being my first Jaguar, they're definitely not as well built and reliability does worry me and parts are super expensive. That said, even though mine is a 2013 I've not had any major problems yet. Still building the trust 😁

I would definitely take a policy out if I had a newer model and AWD especially. But for now, I'm happy to use an independent garage and buy used parts if it proves necessary, or replace with new OEM spec.
scm

Post by scm »

captainham wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm
scm wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm I've got two more days to make up my mind, too. Decisions, decisions ....
Based on my experiences...no-brainer for me! But I appreciate it's a bit of an outlay
I bit the bullet after getting mine back today after some warranty work (fuel pump connector, diff seals, etc.). I'll see how this year goes before deciding whether it's worth doing again next year - I have a very good tame independent who can sort me out if things go disastrously wrong.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

captainham wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm
Would always be my choice on JLR products and my Porsche, maybe not on the wife's BMW but that's only £260 for a fairly comprehensive cover, so that almost makes sense and must be a real factor on the reliability stats in each manufacturer. Not good for JLR🤔
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

JurassicF wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 pm... a real factor on the reliability stats in each manufacturer. Not good for JLR🤔
The F-Type is my fourth Jag and I have to say the preceding three have been reliable. My 2001 XK8 burst a coolant expansion tank (known issue) at 60,000 miles, my 2004 XKR burst an oil pipe at 90,000 miles (and the engine survived the resulting starvation!) and my 2010 XKR suffered a wiring fault that was fixed under warranty. Apart from that, just routine servicing, fuel and tyres! The jury's out on the F-Type so far, but the diffs are really my only area of concern at the moment (well not at this moment since they've been sorted) and it drives so well I'd forgive it most things! ;)
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I agree, my F Type just makes me smile every time I drive her or just look at her, I forgive anything she may throw at me... well almost 😄
Mine already has a new diff, but I can't help myself listening for any strange noise from that area☹️
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post