Will the F Type still be in production come end of September

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
devbrodie

Post by devbrodie »

I miss-read your post, I though you meant you hadn't seen may XEs, but now I see you meant XFs

yes - There are very few XFs about - I used to see a few when I had my XF Sportbrake, but now, I only see XF's occasionally.

The XE is a more affordable car and appeals to the right market. If any model gets dropped, I think it will be the XF saloon, but the sportbrake may still fill a gap in the market - the space with the seats down is much more than the F-Pace
MY18 - F-Type 3L V6 R-dynamic AWD
Black Pack
Driver Pack
Winter Pack
Performance Seats
Meridian Surround Sound

JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I had a new XF sportbrake as a courtesy car whilst my F Type was being serviced. I am afraid it felt like a dinasour in comparison to a BMW 5 series estate or other German equivalents I have been in or driven.
Last year I had the F Pace and again it felt antiquated, not good for JLR.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

In what way antiquated? In a "proper driver's car" way rather than a tech-fest? ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

In regard to the F Pace, it just felt cheap and trim creaked a lot inside and the drive just didn't inspire me, I never tried any of the tecky stuff. Not sure why but if I was in the market for a SUV, I wouldn't be looking at the F Pace.
My F Type blows me away everytime I look at it, I feel it feels special inside and gives me a sense of occasion anytime I drive it.
Unfortunately no other JLR products have the same effect, in fact the reverse. The XF estate just felt old fashioned.

Whereas having owned many Porsche 911S and Boxsters, I wouldn't trade my F Type for one, but give me a Macan over an F Pace anytime.

Therefore going back to the original topic, I really hope the F Type stays in production for a long time. Mind you looking in the showroom at the new styling of the F TypeπŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Came across something somewhere that said the F type was one of the most profitable if the range. Kind of makes sense as the costs of producing a car won't be enponentially different compared to the sale price. The cheaper the car, the more you need to sell as the individual contribution is smaller.

Perhaps Jag needs an MX5/boxter to bring people in.

Presumably why BMW and Merc have put a lot of development into the 1'series and A class. To capture the some younger buyers who'll then move upwards in the brand.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

mickjaguar wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:45 am
Perhaps Jag needs an MX5/boxter to bring people in.
surely that's the ftype....?
Boxter list price - Β£49k, Ftype list price - Β£52k

That's the same market, take into account most customers will be focused on X deposit and Y per month and the Β£3k difference in list price wouldn't even be noticeable. The Ftype is on the down cycle and R&D costs for the most recent facelift will most likely not be re-couped before it comes off sale - It's a very low volume car
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I think it somewhat depends on if you want to appeal to age or money. BMW was a premium brand but now their cars are common as muck and many people can afford one - maybe moving up from a Mini. As such no one gives a second look to all the black boxes on the roads now - especially as there are a ridiculous number of model variants.

A friend has just got a great deal on an M850i as they want to get a few more out on the roads - it's an impressive looking car, with its adaptive aero and suchlike, but personally the only BMW I'd consider would be a Z4. And the Luddite in me just craves a car I can connect with when I drive and not with multiple driver "assistance" features.

The problem is that you can't produce an exclusive and fine looking car for a reasonably affordable price, and as we see with the F-Type there are low mileage bargains to be had. I worry that going down the electric XJ route will be the downfall for Jaguar. With gestation periods and taxation and market swings it is something of a game of chance committing such sums of money to a new model - I personally feel they have done well to stay away from interim hybrids but do need to nail a better iPace to generate the funds for not canning the next F-Type. As much as I enjoyed my XE, Jaguar should ditch the saloons and bring out a base model iPace that makes (slightly) more economic sense for people to buy into.

...and then give us a stunning next gen F-Type :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I would like to have seen an EV E-Pace. It's the only other car in the JLR range that would appeal.
The I-Pace is just too big for me.
Red soft top
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I quite like the E pace, but the XE owner says she'd rather have an Evoque (which I don't really like). Most of the 4X4s are just too big. The RR sport is a very nice car but again too big for me. Although for some reason the new Defender seems quite nice.

EV's will make a lot of sense when the realistic range is approaching 400 miles, which is as far as I usually can drive in a day and the charging infrastructure is much better. So I don't plan on changing cars for a few years yet, as all this develops.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

It's charging speed that puts me off EVs - I can get 350 miles of range into my F-Type in under 10 minutes. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post