Door handle locking

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Ricky's jag

Post by Ricky's jag »

Hi folks having a small issue, I used to be able to lock the doors just by pushing in the door handle on both sides, the passenger door was first to stop locking you’d push it in but one second later it pops back out, I thought I was just going crazy thinking maybe it just never locked from that side. Now the drivers door is doing the same you push in the handle to lock the car and one second later it pops back out again?!! Is there a fault or have I changed a setting somewhere?! Still locks fine via key fob.

scm

Post by scm »

Can you lock it with the fob?

Could be a sensor failure. Normally the car will refuse to lock if it thinks there's a door open. Does it lock when you drive away (I'm assuming you have driveaway locking enabled)?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had that, had a warranty change of handle mechanism. However while waiting for the fix, it stopped doing it. I wonder if it was water inside that dried out.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Ricky's jag

Post by Ricky's jag »

Yes still locks when driving away and still locks via fob. So looks like a door handle sensor then. Dreaded visit to dealer then cars out of warranty and the last few visits (jaguar and Land Rover) weren’t too impressed with them.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Mine has never been able to do that, even from new pushing the door handle in just results in it popping out again half a second later, maybe it’s a dealer setting like the auto folding door mirrors? Just guessing
Ricky's jag

Post by Ricky's jag »

I’ve always been able to lock it that way, I find it more convenient than digging out the key from my pocket, the small button on the door handle still works for unlocking too.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Ricky's jag wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 am Hi folks having a small issue, I used to be able to lock the doors just by pushing in the door handle on both sides, the passenger door was first to stop locking you’d push it in but one second later it pops back out, I thought I was just going crazy thinking maybe it just never locked from that side. Now the drivers door is doing the same you push in the handle to lock the car and one second later it pops back out again?!! Is there a fault or have I changed a setting somewhere?! Still locks fine via key fob.

Do you have keyless entry or no?

Keyless entry requires a light touch of the sensor/button, the geared motor does the job of bringing the handle in.

My understanding of the system is; when you drive off the handles are driven in. When you lock via the keyfob the handles are driven in and KE when you touch the sensor/switch the handles are driven in - am I correct?
If not keyless, you are fighting a geared motor pushing the handle in, which will eventually result in it failing.

Occasional pushing on the handles should be OK.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 am... KE when you touch the sensor/switch the handles are driven in - am I correct?
No, to lock with KE you push the rear of the handle (the bit sticking out) into the door, which will lock it. If you push it in twice in rapid succession it'll "double-lock" which activates more of the alarm. The handles aren't driven in at all when you lock that way - you've done it. You only touch the switch to at the front of the handle to unlock.

Is that clear or have I confused things even more? ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

I'm going to play with my XFS when I return to the UK and check - That's KE.

The state of confusion constantly grows year on year...I love it, it's challenging...if I remember rightly!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Well if you lock yourself in we'll leave you for 14 days and then you should be safe Tel :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post