Tyres

Anything F-Type related......
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@ SCM - It was our local Tire dealer
they're quite knowledgeable.

They too prefer Michelin.
I must check with my insurer if it makes a difference though.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:04 pm They too prefer Michelin.
I've never bothered to inform my insurers if I was fitting stock tyre sizes from a different supplier, as long as they meet the required spec (speed/load ratings).
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JFA

Post by JFA »

scm wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 pm
santoshlv426 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:04 pm They too prefer Michelin.
I've never bothered to inform my insurers if I was fitting stock tyre sizes from a different supplier, as long as they meet the required spec (speed/load ratings).
Totally agree scm, it would be total chaos if every car that put a different brand, but same spec tyre on had to declare it as a modification!

Michelins are much better - especially in cold & damp! I think they are a softer compound. Pirellis work well at high temperature if you get on a track - but I don't fancy driving that hard on a public road. :D
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
TTHOR732

Post by TTHOR732 »

Sorry to bring this up again and thanks for the help so far. I'm moving up from a 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear.

If I was to have a 255/35/R19 on the front and 295/35/R19 on the rear, would having the same tyre profile make a difference? I'm struggling to get hold of a 295/30/R19 for the rear 2. Kwik Fit currently have a 4 tyres 15% off promotion which I'm looking to exploit!

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
-------------
EDIT - I've opted to keep the profiles the same but chose wider tyres.

Originals - 245/40/19 - 275/35/19
New - 255/40/19 - 295/35/19

Thanks.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

TTHOR732 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:33 pm Sorry to bring this up again and thanks for the help so far. I'm moving up from a 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear.

If I was to have a 255/35/R19 on the front and 295/35/R19 on the rear, would having the same tyre profile make a difference? I'm struggling to get hold of a 295/30/R19 for the rear 2. Kwik Fit currently have a 4 tyres 15% off promotion which I'm looking to exploit!

-------------

Thanks.
If you keep the profile the same but have wider tyres then the overall diameter of the tyre will be increased, which will have a small effect on gear ratios, speedometer and may lead to rubbing etc.

Hopefully not teaching to suck eggs but the profile is the height of the sidewall of the tyre as a percentage of the tyres width. So if you increase the tyre width but have the same percentage profile you may have a problem. If you want wider tyres then generally you need a smaller profile/percetage of that new width so that the overall diameter of the tyre is similar (It won't be exactly the same).

For example, your old rear tyre is 275/35 R19 which has a diameter of 675mm.

If you fit 295/35 R19 the diameter will increase to 689mm.

Having said that, there is also the issue of insurance. Having a different brand won't cause a problem as long as it has the correct load rating, speed rating and size as recommended. The insurers may decide that having the wrong size tyre was a factor in an accident and reduce their payout, or not payout at all.
scm

Post by scm »

The difference between front and rear diameters may mess with the AWD system, if you have AWD.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
TTHOR732

Post by TTHOR732 »

GusA wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 pm
TTHOR732 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:33 pm Sorry to bring this up again and thanks for the help so far. I'm moving up from a 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear.

-------------

Thanks.
If you keep the profile the same but have wider tyres then the overall diameter of the tyre will be increased, which will have a small effect on gear ratios, speedometer and may lead to rubbing etc.

Hopefully not teaching to suck eggs but the profile is the height of the sidewall of the tyre as a percentage of the tyres width. So if you increase the tyre width but have the same percentage profile you may have a problem. If you want wider tyres then generally you need a smaller profile/percetage of that new width so that the overall diameter of the tyre is similar (It won't be exactly the same).

For example, your old rear tyre is 275/35 R19 which has a diameter of 675mm.

If you fit 295/35 R19 the diameter will increase to 689mm.

Having said that, there is also the issue of insurance. Having a different brand won't cause a problem as long as it has the correct load rating, speed rating and size as recommended. The insurers may decide that having the wrong size tyre was a factor in an accident and reduce their payout, or not payout at all.

Thank you for your help.

What would you suggest I opt for regarding the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?
I did want to go up in tyre width following others advice on the forum that it helps with handling/traction.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I'm still on the original P Zero's which for me are fine in the dry but could be better in the wet.

Everyone who has changed to Michelins has said they are a good improvement so for me I will be changing to them when the time comes.

As for improvement with handling/traction with bigger tyres I'm definitely not an expert! I would think that the gains, if any, are marginal. For some situations they may be worse. If you have larger tyres and therefore a larger surface area in contact with the road then you will need to run a slightly lower air pressure in the tyres to make a gain. Lower tyre pressure means less resistance to aqua planing as there is less 'weight' on each square inch of surface contact. So whilst the extra surface contact might improve things in the dry they could lead to problems in the wet. I'm sure it's much more complex than that of course! Bigger tyres will be heavier which will mean a higher unsprung mass and this will affect suspension etc etc

Gains are more likely to found with different tyre compounds/tread patterns which is probably why the Michelins are preferred.

I would think that Jaguar have gone to a lot of trouble to determine the best tyre sizes for performance/safety on road use so I will be sticking to the recommended tyre size, load rating etc but probably Michelins.

You could of course fit 20" rims with bigger tyres......
dakh

Post by dakh »

Another vote for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I just had both rear tyres replaced my R AWD. Way better grip in the wet. I will be getting a couple 4S on the front once they are due for a replacement.

Best price I could find was online from blackcircles.com and included having them fitted locally. They currently have a 10% off deal on the Michelins.

BTW - The local tyre dealer told me they receive £16 per tyre from blackcircles to do the fitting.
F-Type R AWD in Carpathian Grey Metallic
External & Internal Black Pack
Black Wheels
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

Dakh

What size 4S did you fit. I didn’t think they were available in both standard 20 inch sizes.

Thanks
Andrew
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post