Car insurance

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:17 pm I bought a 3rd-party one (SmarTrack with a lifetime subscription)

Ah I see.......just had a look at the the SmarTrack subscription pricing info here http://www.smartrack.eu/subscriptions/

Do you or anyone else think the Jaguar InControl Remote 'Journeys' option could be classed as a tracker as it records a history of each journey the vehicle takes?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

JFA

Post by JFA »

RPSN wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:26 pm
Cluck wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:17 pm I bought a 3rd-party one (SmarTrack with a lifetime subscription)

Ah I see.......just had a look at the the SmarTrack subscription pricing info here http://www.smartrack.eu/subscriptions/

Do you or anyone else think the Jaguar InControl Remote 'Journeys' option could be classed as a tracker as it records a history of each journey the vehicle takes?
Highly unlikely - I had to send the certificate for the Tracker and it had to be a certain Thatcham category (6?) for it to be accepted. They want a secure system which is connected to a tracking centre who can provide live location info to the police in the event of a theft.
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@JFA

When I took out Liverpool Victoria multi-car insurance I asked if my insurance premium would be reduced if I subscribed to Jaguar’s InControl Secure (which includes the Stolen Vehicle Tracking feature). They informed me that it makes no difference whatsoever.

With regards to the InControl Remote ‘Journeys’ facility, vehicles cannot be actively tracked unless an SOS Emergency call or Optimised Assistance call is made or triggered after which the vehicle's location will be sent automatically to the emergency services and breakdown services. The previous Journeys made by the vehicle are visible through the Remote Smartphone App and InControl website.

In the event of a vehicle being stolen, I would think the InControl Remote ‘Journeys’ facility could still help the vehicle owner and Police to track it?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
JFA

Post by JFA »

RPSN wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:55 pm @JFA

When I took out Liverpool Victoria multi-car insurance I asked if my insurance premium would be reduced if I subscribed to Jaguar’s InControl Secure (which includes the Stolen Vehicle Tracking feature). They informed me that it makes no difference whatsoever.

With regards to the InControl Remote ‘Journeys’ facility, vehicles cannot be actively tracked unless an SOS Emergency call or Optimised Assistance call is made or triggered after which the vehicle's location will be sent automatically to the emergency services and breakdown services. The previous Journeys made by the vehicle are visible through the Remote Smartphone App and InControl website.

In the event of a vehicle being stolen, I would think the InControl Remote ‘Journeys’ facility could still help the vehicle owner and Police to track it?
This was when my car was new and so high replacement value (£121K) - 90K threshold seemed to change things. The tracker (Thatcham Cat 6) was either required (wouldn't insure without) or roughly halved premiums. As replacement value drops below threshold, tracker probably means less.

I think Remote is different to Secure and you answer your own point. Remote requires an event to be triggered from the driver or car which presumably sends out location info, but without that trigger, I suspect location is only reported back to the system at the end of a journey? In any case, insurers all required Thatcham approved Cat 6 systems with an active account and Remote wont tick that box!
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!
Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

too many variables to name one company, go with a compare site id say. try more than one too, i got different quotes from different sites for the same company and different extras as well. dont accept car breakdown cover its usually cheaper to arrange a separate one.... eg my warranty cover also comes with breakdown assist.
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

JFA wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:29 pm This was when my car was new and so high replacement value (£121K) - 90K threshold seemed to change things. The tracker (Thatcham Cat 6) was either required (wouldn't insure without) or roughly halved premiums. As replacement value drops below threshold, tracker probably means less.

I think Remote is different to Secure and you answer your own point. Remote requires an event to be triggered from the driver or car which presumably sends out location info, but without that trigger, I suspect location is only reported back to the system at the end of a journey? In any case, insurers all required Thatcham approved Cat 6 systems with an active account and Remote wont tick that box!

I can understand why the tracker is very important to you and your insurance company with a car originally valued at £121k and also why they required a Thatcham approved Cat 6 system with an active InControl ‘Secure’ account.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, the Remote ‘Journeys’ facility is not actively tracked unless an SOS Emergency call or Optimised Assistance call is made or triggered after which the vehicle's location is sent automatically to the emergency services and breakdown services. Otherwise the previous journeys that the vehicle has made are logged on the system and they are visible through the Remote Smartphone App and InControl website.

In the event of a vehicle being stolen, I would think that those who don't have InControl 'Secure' but do have ‘Remote’, still get some tracking protection with the ‘Journeys’ facility (even though it's not actively tracked) which could help the vehicle owner and Police to locate it.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

Late joining this thread.

LV accepted the incontrol secure tracker on my policy earlier this year, but their renewal quote was much higher in the autumn so I switched to Privelege...... big mistake !
I moved to a new house a few weeks ago and privilege can’t recognise my postcode 😳 so get this, their only option was that I cancel and went elsewhere ! They gave me 2 weeks and low and behold LV are cheaper again. I’m still haggling with privilege as they are trying to sting me with a cancellation fee; heaven knows how they would treat a claim.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
scm

Post by scm »

JamesOC wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:05 pm I moved to a new house a few weeks ago and privilege can’t recognise my postcode 😳 so get this, their only option was that I cancel and went elsewhere ! They gave me 2 weeks and low and behold LV are cheaper again. I’m still haggling with privilege as they are trying to sting me with a cancellation fee; heaven knows how they would treat a claim.
That's rich, they won't insure you so it's actually them that have cancelled the policy - you should be claiming a cancellation fee from them.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

LV multicar policy worked out much cheaper for me.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post