Center Console Air Vent

Anything F-Type related......
GBH

Post by GBH »

I had mine replaced in December, the dealer said it was a fault on the motor
I have no idea which parts they replaced but it does work again.
66 MY 17 Blackberry F Type 340

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ajac wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm I have to say that .pdf regarding the air vent fix is fantastic. thanks for posting!
Diabolik wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:21 pm Woowwww!!

Thank you for sharing your first class technical PDF.

This is why we join good forums like this.

Cheers guys 👍

I keep files such as this in my documents as they always come in handy.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ninetails wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm If you want hot air to blow from the centre vent (and the upper side vents), with the climate system already switched on in "auto", select "climate" from home screen and then select "upper" vents and centre vent will rise and blow air at what ever temp you have set (hot or cold). I find this setting better in cold weather.

I’ve always kept the climate system in auto and never had any problems with the centre vent opening and closing but after reading your post I thought I’d try what you said.

With the climate system already switched on in auto I selected ‘climate’ from the home screen and selected the top (upper vent) symbol. The centre vent started to open and got stuck half way, it wouldn’t close either. I gave up trying after a while so locked the car up and returned to it approx 15 mins later. I could see the centre vent was still stuck in the same (halfway open) position from outside the car but as soon as I opened the door to get in, the centre vent closed......massive sigh of relief!

Done a bit of research on it and came across this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... 952/page2/

Here are some excerpts from the link......

“Can anyone shed any light on the best settings, maybe leave it in Auto, high sensitivity, centre vent in Auto too.”

“I leave my centre vent set to auto, and I know when winter is approaching because it stops raising on start-up."

“+1 to just leaving on Auto. Never needed to adjust anything other than temp. I turn the temp up just a bit in the winter when I drive with the windows down (most of the time).”
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I’ve operated the climate system today and all is working perfectly with the centre vent opening and closing as it should........Hope it stays that way!
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

RPSN wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm I’ve operated the climate system today and all is working perfectly with the centre vent opening and closing as it should........Hope it stays that way!
Glad it is working OK today. Did you open/close centre vent by using "auto" mode and turning temp. down until it opened or did you select "upper/face" vents on centre screen?
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
scm

Post by scm »

Option three, change setting to "always open". ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ninetails wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 pm
RPSN wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm I’ve operated the climate system today and all is working perfectly with the centre vent opening and closing as it should........Hope it stays that way!
Glad it is working OK today. Did you open/close centre vent by using "auto" mode and turning temp. down until it opened or did you select "upper/face" vents on centre screen?

Cheers

I’d been sitting in the car with the engine running for about 25 mins and the Climate system was in ‘Auto’ mode. The Climate temp was set at approx 20°C so the cabin was reasonably warm. In that time I’d switched the engine off and restarted it a few times to check all was ok and the centre vent opened on startup and closed on shut down which is normal. I didn’t turn the temperature down or select ‘upper/face’ vents on the Climate screen and I also didn't change the Climate settings to ‘always open’ (as scm suggests).

I think I know why the centre vent got stuck halfway open the other day? In your post you said.......“with the climate system already switched on in "auto", select "climate" from home screen and then select "upper"vents and centre vent will rise and blow air at whatever temp you have set (hot or cold).”

As I’ve always kept the Climate system in Auto mode and haven’t played around with the Climate settings, I took “upper” vents to be the top (upper vent) symbol on the Climate screen which is what I selected (see green arrow on attached image).

I’ve since tried selecting the ‘face’ and ‘face/foot’ modes (blue arrows on attached image) and the centre vent opens automatically as it should do. I’ll be using these modes more often in the cold weather as it’s nice to feel the airflow and heat coming from them :D

Like scm, I also thought that the centre vent only delivers cold air in my coupe (can't recall much warm air coming from them)......until I saw your post that is. 👍

Update: This morning, I started the car up and tried what you previously mentioned, which is to turn the Climate temp down so that the centre vent opens (which it did). Guess what.....it only opened half way then it stayed put. I selected the vent ‘face mode’ in the climate settings as this should fully open the vent but nothing happened so I selected the upper vent (distributes air to the windscreen) which should close the vent, but again nothing? I then switched off the ignition as I didn’t want to try too many climate settings which may have put pressure on the vent mechanism and made things worse?

I see a pattern here because the cabin temp was cold as I’d not long started the car up (same as the other day when the vent stuck half way open). I repeated what I did the last time which was to get out of the car, lock it, then leave it for a little while before unlocking it. As soon as I opened the door the centre vent closed perfectly, like last time.

A thought has gone through my mind that perhaps the vent is designed to do this in certain situations e.g. when the cabin temp is too cold?

I haven’t purposely tried to make the centre vent open until recently so I’ll leave things as they are as all seems ok now.

1.jpg

Last edited by RPSN on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

@ RPSN

Just to clarify, in my post saying select "upper" vent i did mean "face" and not "screen". Also, i use the "face" setting often in the winter and have never had the centre vent come up half way, it is either fully up or fully down. As you said it is probably due to the colder ambient temp,(winter months) that is giving you the problem. I suspect you have always had a problem with the centre vent but because you normally leave in "auto" the vent will never rise in the winter months so the fault has, up to now been hidden. If you are happy with hot air only coming out of the lower (foot) vents in winter you can carry on as normal, but personally as some one who feels the cold i find the hot air coming out of the centre vent and side upper vents warms me up quicker when its cold outside.
If you have an extended warranty you could claim to have a new centre vent fitted, if not you have always got the option of removing the centre vent assembly, as in the PDF Alex posted, and giving the hinge assembly a bit more clearance.
EDIT. I think it is worth mentioning that after a cold start up and the engine revs have dropped to a normal tick over i press the auto button for the heating system but i always wait until the engine coolant temp.gauge (indicator hand) is pointing to at least half way (7:30) through it's travel to "normal" (9 o'clock) operating temp, before i select upper/face setting. This is because at that point the air coming out of the center vent is noticeably warm. Thinking about it as the air is warm the plastic vent assembly has had time to warm up, and as plastic is sensitive to temp change, probably expands the vent assembly to give better clearance and prevents jamming up. For a like, for like, comparison test try this procedure it it might just give it the necessary clearance it needs to operate smoothly. Hope this helps.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ninetails wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 pm @ RPSN

Just to clarify, in my post saying select "upper" vent i did mean "face" and not "screen". Also, i use the "face" setting often in the winter and have never had the centre vent come up half way, it is either fully up or fully down. As you said it is probably due to the colder ambient temp,(winter months) that is giving you the problem. I suspect you have always had a problem with the centre vent but because you normally leave in "auto" the vent will never rise in the winter months so the fault has, up to now been hidden. If you are happy with hot air only coming out of the lower (foot) vents in winter you can carry on as normal, but personally as some one who feels the cold i find the hot air coming out of the centre vent and side upper vents warms me up quicker when its cold outside.
If you have an extended warranty you could claim to have a new centre vent fitted, if not you have always got the option of removing the centre vent assembly, as in the PDF Alex posted, and giving the hinge assembly a bit more clearance.
EDIT. I think it is worth mentioning that after a cold start up and the engine revs have dropped to a normal tick over i press the auto button for the heating system but i always wait until the engine coolant temp.gauge (indicator hand) is pointing to at least half way (7:30) through it's travel to "normal" (9 o'clock) operating temp, before i select upper/face setting. This is because at that point the air coming out of the center vent is noticeably warm. Thinking about it as the air is warm the plastic vent assembly has had time to warm up, and as plastic is sensitive to temp change, probably expands the vent assembly to give better clearance and prevents jamming up. For a like, for like, comparison test try this procedure it it might just give it the necessary clearance it needs to operate smoothly. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification.

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve never had any issues with the centre vent coming up half way until I recently tried to open the vent by selecting the option from the Climate screen (shown in the diagram I posted) and also by lowering the cabin temperature. I have the centre vent setting in 'Auto' and it has always opened and closed correctly so perhaps I should have waited for it to open (as it always does on almost every journey throughout the year including winter time) before selecting the various Climate settings i.e. face mode, face/foot mode and windscreen mode?

Since I’ve had the car, I've only used the rotary dials on the centre console to adjust cabin temperature, blower speed and heated seats. I haven't used the various Climate settings (stated above). This is why I wasn’t getting the full benefit from the centre vents etc.

I’ve been out in the car today (got the MOT done) and the Climate system has been working fine as always with a very smooth and silent operation of the centre vent (opening and closing). I tried the three different Climate modes i.e. face mode, face/foot mode, windscreen mode and I’ve had a good blasting of heated air especially from the centre vents and foot well......this is more than can be obtained from only using the rotary dials on the centre console. In fact, it would have been too much to use continuously but it’s definitely a quick way for me to warm up if need be!

Anyway, all is ok......just wasn’t used to seeing the centre vent come up half way and staying there. If it ever happens again I’ll do the same thing that I did the other day which is.......switch off ignition, get out of car and lock it, wait a few minutes then unlock the car and open the door, centre vent should close immediately by itself as it has done with me on the two occasions which only happened recently.

Your posts have been helpful to me with regards to the the various Climate options/settings 👍
Last edited by RPSN on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

ninetails wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 pm @ RPSN

I suspect you have always had a problem with the centre vent but because you normally leave in "auto" the vent will never rise in the winter months so the fault has, up to now been hidden.

When I previously said that I always keep the Climate system in ‘Auto’ this isn't actually the case as I rarely use it. What I meant was that I always keep the Climate centre vents in ‘Auto’ for automatic opening & closing.

There’s too many ‘Auto’ settings in this car for my liking! :roll:

This is what it says about Climate Control 'Auto mode' on the Jaguar website https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/........

"The Climate control system will adjust blower speed, air intake, and airflow distribution to maintain the selected temperature."

"The deployable centre vents may open or close dependent on the selected temperature."

"Windscreen fogging will be reduced."

"Depending on the specification of the vehicle, the various options for AUTO mode can be set via the CLIMATE settings."

As mentioned in my previous reply, the Climate system and centre vents are working fine 👍
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post