Climate seats not very warm

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
iandowning

Post by iandowning »

I've had a couple of previous cars with heated seats, so have some experience with them, including a 2017 RR Sport that produces a nice toasty heat.

My recently purchased 2019 F-Type has climate seats and frankly it's hard to tell whether the seats are heating up at all, even on the highest setting. I haven't had the opportunity to test whether the cooling function works.

This has made me wonder whether climate seats work differently to the simple electrical heating element in purely heated seats. For example, do they use air from the aircon system instead, which I can imagine is much gentler than an electric element? Does anyone recommend taking it back to the dealer for them to take a look (which is a pain as it's miles away).

Thanks in advance.

scm

Post by scm »

iandowning wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm This has made me wonder whether climate seats work differently to the simple electrical heating element in purely heated seats.
Yep, completely different. "Normal" heated seats use electrical pads. Heated and cooled seats use Peltier cells which produce either heat or cold depending on the direction of current flow. That's why they need fans to distribute the air, and perforated seat covers to let it out.

One thing to note is that it's possible to set the seats to only work on the seat cushion or the seat back, or both - have a check in the settings to make sure yours are set the way you want them. My heated and cooled seats warm up nicely, especially nice on my back!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

The heated seats and wheel in our 2014 XFS will fry eggs...the seats in our 2015 F type R will do the same...the steering wheel heat is lacking though unfortunately.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
scm

Post by scm »

Tel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 pm The heated seats and wheel in our 2014 XFS will fry eggs...the seats in our 2015 F type R will do the same...the steering wheel heat is lacking though unfortunately.
Interesting, the steering wheel in my MY18 gets very warm ....
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

I have a MY18 - heated seats fine, heated steering wheel fine - cooling function on seats a waste of time - can't notice a thing - especially on warm / hot days
in fact i asked for it to be checked at a service and dealership said all was working.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Backofthenet wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm I have a MY18 - heated seats fine, heated steering wheel fine - cooling function on seats a waste of time - can't notice a thing - especially on warm / hot days
in fact i asked for it to be checked at a service and dealership said all was working.
The plot thickens...Our XFS cooled seats chill well.

Sounds like it's very variable across the JLR ranges for some weird reason???
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

are the f-type seats that have cooling - ventilated seats or cooling seats

i have read that In the case of Ventilated seats, it’s just a system of fans. This creates airflow and should cool you down a bit on those hot days.

Cooling seats, on the other hand, utilizing a cooling element between the fans, making the increase in airflow work even better as it blows cold air right through the fabric
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I have the heated/cooled seats which are perforated leather and that work as scm describes above. I drive roof down whenever it’s not raining and my heated seats and heated steering wheel work very well and do the job, it’s just the top of my legs that get a bit chilly. In the summer I was using the cooling function and there is a noticeable cooling to the seat and back areas, although not as strong an effect as a Jeep I used to have with ventilated seats, which used a fan to blow air through perforated seat leather.
scm

Post by scm »

Backofthenet wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm are the f-type seats that have cooling - ventilated seats or cooling seats

i have read that In the case of Ventilated seats, it’s just a system of fans. This creates airflow and should cool you down a bit on those hot days.

Cooling seats, on the other hand, utilizing a cooling element between the fans, making the increase in airflow work even better as it blows cold air right through the fabric
I think you're confused - the heated and cooled seats use the same Peltier cells to warm or chill the ait that the fans circulate. The ventilation is to tallow the warmed or cooled air out. And the cooling worked extremely well in my previous XKR (not had the oppotunity in the F-Type yet) when I inadvertently over adjusted turning the heating off one very chilling morning - I didn't noticed it had gone to max chill! Brrr!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post