So easily stolen

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

simpleR wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:58 pm See here for previously supplied information.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4959&p=49853&hilit=OBD+vin#p49853

That information on the OBD port is worth reiterating........
PhilB wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:30 am The OBD port should only be vulnerable on cars older than 2015.
In 2015 JLR changed the system so that the OBD is taken out of the equation.
I can't confirm when that happened for the F-Type but the new system has a separate module that will only talk to the two original keys.
You can't clone any new ones.
If you lose one you will get stung for two new keys and a new module as others have found to their cost elsewhere.
simpleR wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am The older system is on cars 00001 to 08869 (last five digits of VIN) and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys.
So in theory, if you have an older car you could break the window and then use the OBD port to code a new key to use to drive the car away with.
Cars 08870 and onwards is as per your post above.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi guys, I have just got my first f type v6 s, convertible on a 65 plate, it has keyless entry. I do have it in a locked garage with alarm, what type of after market anti theft devices do you guys use, recommend etc.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
kookaburra1457

Post by kookaburra1457 »

Great choice, hope you get the top down soon! I'd strongly recommend buying a Faraday Pouch for each of your keys, so your keys in the house can't be scanned by some low life who then opens your car and drives off with it. There are plenty available on eBay, don't go for the cheapest just read the reviews first before buying as some of the cheaper ones don't offer enough RFID protection. And test to make sure once you get your delivery. Roll on Summer...
2014 Dark Sapphire V6S Coupe with ivory/grey extended leather, sports seats, panoramic roof, 20 inch prop alloys, Meridian surround sound and lighted kick-plates 8-) 8-)
bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn »

Quiet man wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 pm Hi guys, I have just got my first f type v6 s, convertible on a 65 plate, it has keyless entry. I do have it in a locked garage with alarm, what type of after market anti theft devices do you guys use, recommend etc.
I use a Disklok (small model) on the steering wheel (mounted upside down) that will slow down anyone trying to get in the seat, plus its lock faces down making it awkward to gain access to the lock, plus keys in a faraday pouch and hidden, plus the car has a Jaguar tracker, and its parked under a CCTV camera on the drive.

20210225_191613.jpg

20210225_191619.jpg

1603208504842[2].jpg

2021MY P300 1st edition Coupe, Eiger grey, with Climate, Privacy, and Tracker,
Previous: 2019MY XE 300 Sport {petrol) with lots of addons.
Previous: 2017MY XE 240 Portfolio (petrol) with a selection of addons.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

I have full cover insurance, a fench with barbed wire, the alarm and tracker, and 14ch CCTV with cloud storage..
So if they steal the CCTV, they are still burned..

slaapt.jpg

Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Thanks Guys, I was thinking about getting one of the disc locks, is there a special type for the flat bottom steering wheel. Two very nice cars by the way.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
Tel

Post by Tel »

RPSN wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 pm
simpleR wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:58 pm See here for previously supplied information.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4959&p=49853&hilit=OBD+vin#p49853

That information on the OBD port is worth reiterating........
PhilB wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:30 am The OBD port should only be vulnerable on cars older than 2015.
In 2015 JLR changed the system so that the OBD is taken out of the equation.
I can't confirm when that happened for the F-Type but the new system has a separate module that will only talk to the two original keys.
You can't clone any new ones.
If you lose one you will get stung for two new keys and a new module as others have found to their cost elsewhere.
simpleR wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am The older system is on cars 00001 to 08869 (last five digits of VIN) and allows non Jaguar dealers to programme keys.
So in theory, if you have an older car you could break the window and then use the OBD port to code a new key to use to drive the car away with.
Cars 08870 and onwards is as per your post above.

It's useful information, however I would still suggest a lockable OBD cover for the following reasons:

a) It provides a visible deterrent ('ish)
(I don't believe thieves have the time to check VIN numbers to see if the car they are stealing is within a certain range or not)

b) It enables the car owner to manage who/when the OBD port is accessed and therefore can avoid potential battery draining issues that all F's suffer with when the OBD communications are not terminated in the correct, full protocol.

Both items are so cheap, compared to the cost and upset of losing your P and J, I cannot understand why an owner would not fit them as a minimum.
If one doesn't want to fit a cover, then at least an OBD Tracker fitted to the port for £50 is better than nothing.
NOTE: They are a wee bit bulky, meaning you are likely to hit your leg on them, so I would suggest removing the OBD port form the dash surround, fitting the tracker and tie-wrapping the port and tracker up under the dash a little way.
Again, it may be found that the OBD port powering the tracker may hang the ignition shutdown routine - this will be a trial and error exercise.

Combined with a 'Crook - lock' on the wheel as well, any opportune, even 'steal to order' thief may think twice because of the added time and aggravation involved IMO.

With regards to driveways, I have always preferred the sturdy fold-over, lockable ground mounted post.

Again, this I feel is more of a deterrent than CCTV..look at all the CCTV surveillance we see of thieves; goes to proves that brazen thieves don't give a monkeys about being on camera. Half the time, the submitted CCTV pictures are not up to much, or enough for a prosecution.

Sad days we live in unfortunately...still, look on the bright side of life, E10 petrol will be coming in September this year! so they won't be nicking them for too much longer! ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm It's useful information, however I would still suggest a lockable OBD cover for the following reasons:

a) It provides a visible deterrent ('ish)
(I don't believe thieves have the time to check VIN numbers to see if the car they are stealing is within a certain range or not)

b) It enables the car owner to manage who/when the OBD port is accessed and therefore can avoid potential battery draining issues that all F's suffer with when the OBD communications are not terminated in the correct, full protocol.

Both items are so cheap, compared to the cost and upset of losing your P and J, I cannot understand why an owner would not fit them as a minimum.
If one doesn't want to fit a cover, then at least an OBD Tracker fitted to the port for £50 is better than nothing.
NOTE: They are a wee bit bulky, meaning you are likely to hit your leg on them, so I would suggest removing the OBD port form the dash surround, fitting the tracker and tie-wrapping the port and tracker up under the dash a little way.
Again, it may be found that the OBD port powering the tracker may hang the ignition shutdown routine - this will be a trial and error exercise.

Combined with a 'Crook - lock' on the wheel as well, any opportune, even 'steal to order' thief may think twice because of the added time and aggravation involved IMO.

With regards to driveways, I have always preferred the sturdy fold-over, lockable ground mounted post.

Again, this I feel is more of a deterrent than CCTV..look at all the CCTV surveillance we see of thieves; goes to proves that brazen thieves don't give a monkeys about being on camera. Half the time, the submitted CCTV pictures are not up to much, or enough for a prosecution.

Sad days we live in unfortunately...still, look on the bright side of life, E10 petrol will be coming in September this year! so they won't be nicking them for too much longer! ;-)

My car doesn’t have the OBD port vulnerability and falls outside the VIN numbers stated previously. Even so, I've removed it from its original location and made it more difficult for a potential thief to find it. I only replace it when a diagnostic or software update etc that I require is needed.

I religiously fit a hefty steering wheel lock and also double lock the car with the key fob which I then shield in a Faraday pouch (I also shield the spare key fob at home). The fairly recent event which occurred in my local supermarket car park is a good reminder for me!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4959

I’m all for visible deterrents as they will make a potential thief think twice.

When I park up on my driveway, I normally park the missus’ car behind the F-Type to provide extra security. I also have security lights which shine down onto the driveway.

I hadn’t heard about the E10 petrol so had a quick look and found this.....

“E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Jaguar vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1992.”

“E10 fuel will be available at almost all petrol stations across the UK. Petrol stations that offer 2 grades of petrol will stock both E10 (‘Premium’) and E5 (‘Super’) petrol.”

“E10 is becoming the UK’s standard petrol grade, meaning almost all filling stations’ standard 95-octane (‘Premium’) petrol grade will be blended with up to 10% renewable ethanol.”

“E5 (higher-octane petrol with no more than 5% renewable ethanol), however, will remain available at filling stations that sell 2 grades of petrol.”

“Some rural, remote or very small filling stations may sell only E5 petrol as standard.”

Out of curiosity, how does E10 petrol make any difference to car theft?
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Tel

Post by Tel »

My apologies, I digressed from the OT - absolutely nothing to do with thievery, just another subject that i have 'passionate' views about ;-)
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Tel wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:27 pm My apologies, I digressed from the OT - absolutely nothing to do with thievery, just another subject that i have 'passionate' views about ;-)

Thought it was too good to be true ;)

The OBD Tracker that you mentioned earlier seems like a great idea but I would imagine that thieves will remove this if they were successful in stealing the car? There again, perhaps some wouldn’t?

You said that.....“it may be found that the OBD port powering the tracker may hang the ignition shutdown routine - this will be a trial and error exercise.” Can this easily be sorted out?

Are these the sort of Trackers that you are referring to?.....

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/blog/p ... ps-tracker

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-s ... 07350.html
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid