H136, H239, what's the difference?

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Hi all,

Campaign H136, 'Pass by noise in latched special programmes modes'
Campaign H239, 'Pass by noise in latched special programmes modes'

Does anyone know what, if any, the difference is between these two?

I successfully avoided H136 when it was printed on the job sheet and I put a line through it and said I didn't want it done when the car was in for a service approx 2 years ago.
I didn't avoid H239 when my car went in for sub-frame replacement recently and it was hand written on the job sheet in Biro after the event!

The main dealer responsible is extremely evasive in answering any of my questions and trying to close the whole matter down as nothing that can be done about it. Unfortunately for them I'm not the sort of person to let this go.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

Fez

Post by Fez »

The original software would keep your settings for 6hours dynamic on exhaust open., ie if you nipped into the petrol Station your car would still be in dynamic when you started the engine on return. H136, is an update that defaults the car back to dynamic off everytime the ignition is switched off. H239 is engine management update, similar to H136 however, my assumption is that it does more to the settings ie dynamic into comfort mode and high revs before exhaust valves open. If it was the same then they would still be using H136 as a update. To avoid very time the car goes near a garage you must state the software is not to be update. I write on the service schedule and leave note in car.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
Fez

Post by Fez »

Additional don,t let anyone tell you it updates automatically on plug in of the computer that's complete bollocks. The operator has to approve update and press OK to update or No to update and continue with checks. They think we don't know!!!
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
scm

Post by scm »

Fez wrote: ↑Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 pmH136, is an update that defaults the car back to dynamic off everytime the ignition is switched off.
Redantically, it actually defaults the car to dynamic off the next time the ignition is switched on. I've noticed my ambient lighting is still red when I power up the car, and then it goes to my non-dynamic blue.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cats

Post by Cats »

Presumably this is only an issue when using a main dealer. An Jag Indy such as Lenthall's wouldn't do this would they?
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

No, Tom Lenthall is all for keeping the noise πŸ‘πŸ»
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

I'd guess that dealers claim money from Jaguar for performing updates so they have an incentive to do them, even if they dress it up as "Jaguar says we have to do this".
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cats

Post by Cats »

Lunar wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm No, Tom Lenthall is all for keeping the noise πŸ‘πŸ»
Would you recommend Lunar?
I happen to be in Frimley as well, I'll keep an eye out πŸ‘
Rhodium Silver F Type SVR Coupe 2016 now gone sadly
Ultra Blue F Pace SVR 2022
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I've only had one personal experience so far but it was excellent.
Service carried out, with discount for using my supplied oil (JLR dealer freebie from previous "interaction") and online history updated.
I also had the ZF transmission pan/filter and fluid changed, supercharger fluid changed (they managed to extract pretty much all of it), and drive and ancillary belts changed - I'd already done the diff oil a few months ago.
Centre vent was replaced under warranty as requested, and when they phoned me with an update on progress they mentioned they were also changing the supercharger snout under warranty, as when they took the belts off the play was at the end of its tolerance.
Ok, so what was supposed to be an interim service was an expensive one, but way cheaper than a dealer would have charged and with impeccable service too. I now have a car that should need very little in the way of service expense for a good few years.

Re. Frimley I'll PM you too.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

A bit of an update...

H136 and H239 are apparently exactly the same. Campaign H136 had a time limit and had expired. Because H136 had expired, H239 was introduced to continue with the noise issue.
The issue is apparently due to more recent legislation to reduce the 'roar' noise upon startup. This is why after either H136 or H239 has been applied, it will not start in Dynamic mode.
I have also been assured there is no alteration to performance or anything else, merely startup mode.
(Information from Jaguar, not the retail network.)
I haven't got any of this in writing as yet, and, won't need it if it's reversed out.

It raises the concern about Jaguar's retrospective application of this legislation. My car was legal when sold to me and this should not have been applied without my full knowledge and agreement. (Neither of which was obtained.)

Information on how easy this is to unwind is being investigated. I'm hoping it's nothing more than a simple setting in the CCF.

PS It was admitted they would only become aware of what updates are required once 'plugged in'. Hence the written in Biro on the job sheet after the event.
It's looking very much like the only way to guarantee them from nefarious behaviour is locking out the OBD port.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post