Suspension and poor ride comfort

Anything F-Type related......
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Pacemaker1000 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:08 pm No not driven yet.
But I even find the standard BMW M Sport cars too firm. Had a metal roof Z4 (non M Sport) with 19s and sold it pretty quickly.
I had an E89 Z4 a few years ago and the F type is carpet smooth in comparison. Go and test drive one.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more

scz4

Post by scz4 »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the ride in normal mode, I've always had Michelin PS4's, so can't comment on those vs Pirelli. However I do find the car is easily unsettled in dynamic mode and rarely use it unless the road is really smooth. I definitely wouldn't let the TopGear review put you off, same as with the comment on the convertible boot size, more than big enough for a long weekend away, weekly food shop etc.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

XZ4 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 am
Pacemaker1000 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:08 pm No not driven yet.
But I even find the standard BMW M Sport cars too firm. Had a metal roof Z4 (non M Sport) with 19s and sold it pretty quickly.
I had an E89 Z4 a few years ago and the F type is carpet smooth in comparison. Go and test drive one.
Totally agree, just sold the wife's M Lite and having also owned a Z4, the F-Type is silky smooth compared to any BMW.

BMWs get awful press for their ride comfort, go and drive an F-Type, most configure the dynamic settings to comfort suspension.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Fatboymark

Post by Fatboymark »

I find the normal setting in mine to be harder than the normal in my 911, but the dynamic in the Jag is not as hard as sport in the Porsche. I would also say that in my opinion the Jag rides far better than the Mini it replaced. As others have said, this all very subjective and the only way to really answer your question is to drive a selection of vehicles and see what you think.
2017 V8R Convertible, Polaris White, lots of goodies
Pacemaker1000

Post by Pacemaker1000 »

Cheers for all the replies.

Cheered me up a bit compared to Clarksons review. Looks like a test drive is essential, pity I live in the middle of nowhere though ☹️
Volley

Post by Volley »

I went on a rally driving course many years ago and the instructor gave Clarkson’s driving skills a mark of zero out of ten!
Take a test drive on different surfaces and switch the suspension setting between normal and dynamic to feel the difference for yourself.
I also swapped my tyres to Michelin PS4S’s and the handling really improved even on public roads.
MY21 First Edition R-Dynamic P450
5l V8 RWD
Eiger Grey
Mikeyf

Post by Mikeyf »

I worried about it too before i bought.
20min test drives are not enough... get a car for a couple of hours. You will fall in love 😍
Truely brilliant
And finally a car where Sport Mode is actually really good... had a few BMWs and they are rubbish compared to F-type...
MY2015 V8 R Coupe
Metallic Black with Black Pack, Black Wheels, Black Leather & Black Callipers.
Debadged apart from black leaper.
oversealer

Post by oversealer »

I was also 'put off' by Clarkson's comments. I guess he has to be entertaining and often makes a little thing in to a big thing to be funny. Having said that he is a very influential commentator. Ultimately it's down to individual taste. I was worried about three things, the width, the boot space in a convertible and the ride. For me all three are perfectly fine. Mine is an MY20 and the only one I have driven so not sure if earlier models were harder.
MY20 F-Type Chequered Flag V6 380PS AWD in Caldera Red
jagRoar

Post by jagRoar »

In normal mode I have found it a comfy for a sports GT. Harder than a xk but its intended to be sportier. I have changed to forged wheels saving over 5kg a wheel, ps4s and lowered 22mm on vap springs and fine the ride better but the car feeling much sharper
Geeboy360

Post by Geeboy360 »

Jags a dream over BMW’s due to the stupid run flats that bmw insist on! I’ve had loads and won’t go back now! Jag is fine even on 20” wheels!
400 sport RWD Convertible in silver
Low n loud!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post