New but need some advice

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
ThunderMax

Post by ThunderMax »

Just got my first f-type Jag, put it in D mode, using the paddles, pulled up to the lights and set off and the dials were flashing white (briefly). Assume I over-revved the engine because I forgot to change up, my own foolish fault. Would I have done any damage to the engine?

Not a glorious start.

503F79D9-6686-4D07-B7CA-FAC7C9A97EB1.jpeg

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Doubt it very much, there is a rev limiter.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

EDIT: Just noticed it's a used car you bought, so depending on the mileage when you picked it up a lot of the following may not apply

Just bear in mind that Jaguar recommend an engine break-in period. From the online user guide:

During this running-in period of 3 000 km:

Avoid frequent cold starts followed by short-distance driving.
Preferably take longer journeys.
Do not fully press the accelerator pedal during starts and normal driving.
Avoid continuous operation at high engine speed and abrupt stops.
Do not participate in track days, sports driving schools, or similar.

In addition, specifically up to 2 000 km:

Drive at varying engine and road speeds. Do not exceed an engine speed of 4 500 rpm (revolutions per minute) and a road speed of 170 km/h (105 mph).

From 2 000 km to 3 000 km:

Engine and road speeds can be increased gradually.
Engine speeds in excess of 5 000 rpm should only be used briefly, e.g., when overtaking.

At all times, not just during the running-in period:

Do not exceed 4 000 rpm until the engine has reached its full operating temperature.
Avoid labouring the engine by operating the engine in too high a gear at low speeds.

How critical this actually is, I don't know, but I followed it almost to the letter and yes, it was painful!

Congrats on the purchase by the way :)
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

When your in manual the display changes to what gear your in. The car also does not auto change up at the limiter (it does auto change down).

On approach to rev limiter the display changes to a white background and upon reaching the limiter it flashes white. This can happen quite quickly in 1st!

Will be fine.

Enjoy.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Hi ThunderMax,

When I got my R I couldn't wait to play with the paddles but found myself messing up the gears, going up not down and down not up and then getting completely crossed hands on roundabouts, especially when driving enthusiastically.

I would recommend going into manual mode and using the paddles just when you're cruising around at first to get the feel / knack. It soon becomes second nature and the preffered driving method. When I've let friends "have a go" they also mess up trying to do manual changes. It takes a few weeks to become completely natural.

However, it is essential to master for the best pop and bangs.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
scm

Post by scm »

And not a lot of people know this (maybe) but ....

In S you can use the stick to shift, back for up and forward for down.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Fez

Post by Fez »

Not sure why you bother with manual paddles it is a Jaguar! History would point to that auto is the way to go! The cars brain is better at changing gear and never messes up....
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've generally only use the paddles to change up early in sport/dynamic, to get the crack from the exhaust on the upchange. Other than that I leave the auto to do its thing.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

I someimes use the right one to force a higher gear when I've been er, driving spiritedly, and the car thinks I'm going to keep doing that. I select the highest gear it's happy with and then revert to auto - it'll take the hint until I floor the throttle again.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Auto for me nearly all the time but I do paddle down a gear or two if I need to get past someone rapidly.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post