Bonnet Louvres

Anything F-Type related......
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

I know the is is an old post but thought I’d reply back to it.

I’ve recently bought the SVR vents for my R, AWD vent slots.

The vents are made from the same material so the reason for the extra part (the black one in the pictures from the OP) is not for water ingress or for anything do with paint corrosion. I believe the reason they are there is to cover up the body coloured metal bars and edging surround.

When I put the SVR vents on I could see the grey (car colour) paintwork through the grooves. So the extra, black plastic part is to cover that up.

I couldn’t find the part anywhere online so I ended up painting the grey parts (car colour) in black to get the same effect.

Just thought I’d add this incase people search the forum in future.
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Ceramic Coated with Titan coatings
Pilot Sport 4S tyres

Topfox59

Post by Topfox59 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm Prevent rattles as stated and possible friction wearing of the paint leading to corrosion
Corrosion????!
MY18, 400AWD, Black Coupe, Pano, Climate Seats, Camera, Pwd Hatch, Htd Screens/Wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Topfox59 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:01 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm Prevent rattles as stated and possible friction wearing of the paint leading to corrosion
Corrosion????!
Very old thread and comment …
Are you seeking a technical explanation of corrosion in aluminium?
While aluminium has a higher resistance to corrosion than steel (rusting), if exposed to elements it will oxidise (corrosion) and lead to paint blemishes.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

The reason I added my comment to this post was due to the fact that I came across it when trying to find out info on SVR vents so thought I’d put my comment here incase future users want the old info plus mine.

Personally I’m not too concerned about corrosion as I believe the pinto of contact of the vent and the hole in the bonnet is a plastic part touched a painted aluminium part. Just as the old original vent is. The contact points are the same materials touching. I was basically just suggesting my opinion on the need/purpose of the extra black plastic piece incase anyone else was going to swap for the SVR vents.

Jaguar will have just used the old bonnet sheet with the cut outs for the original vents and rather than making a new whole bonnet they just added the plastic insert to cover up the showing parts.
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Pilot Sport 4S tyres
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

James
My comment was addressed purely to Topfoxx59 who referenced my old post with a single word reply of ‘corrosion???!’ and nothing else.

Your analysis may well be correct and is a valid addition to the thread :)
I do wonder though why make an extra part when the SVR vent could easily be moulded to serve the same concealment purpose and avoid 2 parts.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
apr1962

Post by apr1962 »

I fitted the extra part to my SVR vents in my V8 R AWD bonnet. They are not plastic, they are a black gasket type material and designed to stop the paint getting scratched and also to stop you seeing the painted metal though the vent gaps. From memory they were about £120 for the pair so not cheap.
MY 2018 V8R AWD Convertible
Ammonite Grey / Black Leather
Modifications:
SVR Bonnet Vents
Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel
Jaguar Aluminium Paddles
Jamesrust777

Post by Jamesrust777 »

Do you remember/know the part numbers? I did look online but couldn’t see them.
2018MY F-Type R
Corris/Ammonite Grey
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Black Badged
Black SVR bonnet vents
Pilot Sport 4S tyres

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post