Are cars becoming too clever ?

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
East winger

Post by East winger »

Given the new breed of autonomous cars and lorries (trucks) that may one day be the norm, are we leaving ourselves open to blackmail and treat that an organisation could (in theory) take control of your car or a whole set of cars and crash them ?

Even if that is not the case, we all know that computers go wrong and have to be rebooted. I've even heard of this happing to a new plane recently that had to be rebooted in mid-flight and it took two attempts for the engines to restart.

I wonder how long it will be before this scenario is seen in movies.

Just a thought for the day.

Italian Racing Red Coupe S AWD + big smile

Joemax

Post by Joemax »

Thanks for that thought East winger, I think the autonomous cars is a long way away, maybe when Captain Kirk will be born, lol. Whats the bloody point of owning an autonomous anyways? You can get a chauffeur driven vehicle such as the taxi, bus and train. Don't think it will take off just like the Google Glass. People don't like to be controlled but be in control so Im pretty sure people with disabilities would love it.
But Ill leave you with another thought, its almost a 100 years the combustion engine was invented, yet we really haven't moved on ahead that much in terms of other forms of powering the car. Only until now the electric car is making an impact that may change the future of the automobile altogether...but its a slow process as the world economy is inextricably linked to oil.
She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
East winger

Post by East winger »

I can only think of one big advantage. I can go to the pub without the need for my wife to drive me home Evil Smile
Joemax

Post by Joemax »

I can only think of one big advantage. I can go to the pub without the need for my wife to drive me home Evil Smile

LOL Like it!
She's Bad, she's Beautiful and she's British V6S 2013
Carl

Post by Carl »

I can only think of one big advantage. I can go to the pub without the need for my wife to drive me home Evil Smile

Very, very good point!!!! *applause*
V6S Coupe, Polaris White, 19" Orbits, pano roof, red performance seats, black pack and black design pack.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Cars are already too complicated and spoiling real driving pleasure for the skilled driver.
There is only so much you can 'turn off' in modern cars, but we get used to having the car make up for our own inadequacies behind the wheel, we often forget how much fun we really could have, when we take a well prepped older car.
Look at the latest car adverts, making a big play on the 'auto parking' option that's becoming more and more available at the moment.

I'm afraid we are half way there already Disapprove
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
steveh

Post by steveh »

Agreed, that is why I am keeping my other car that has no ABS,traction control, car stability aids,airbags, dipping mirrors or automatic headlights and gearbox. Very much looking forward to all these things but still like a car that I have to actually drive my self. 😀
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
Arne

Post by Arne »

I agree as well, and that was also one of the reasons I chose rwd in stead of awd for the F-type, as it adds a bit more of a challenge when driving a bit "active".

Our second car (the "everyday" car) is an awd for more practical reasons specially during the winters.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
steveh

Post by steveh »

I went for the AWD in the F Type. Two weeks and five days to go!
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
East winger

Post by East winger »

I agree with Arne about having two wheel drive for fun. However, mine
F-Type does have the AWD because I consider myself an average driver and where
we live the roads are exposed and the conditions are often slippery.

I get the car on Thursday (after 97 days from placing the order).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post