Exhaust valves

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Fez

Post by Fez »

There are two software H139 & H239 they came about a year apart. Avoid H139 means our car will not remember dynamic mode when ignition turn off.. H239 reduces noise even further by using electronic wizardry... hence my 400 has no updates after H139..
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

Mightyhunter

Post by Mightyhunter »

Is there a way to check what software updates have been done? I’m convinced my 400 has been neutered (doesn’t remember Dynamic mode on start up) but my dealership are adamant that it’s not had either of the software updates?
Glacier 400 Sport AWD (18.5MY), Pan Roof, Illuminated Treads, Bronze Paddles
@299Peter

Post by @299Peter »

A pointer, I’ve instructed my local main JLR dealer to put a note on my vehicles service record that instructs them to ask me first before any software updates are installed - I absolutely do not want my V6S noise neutered at all!!
Black V6S MY15 380PS F-Type
Love the car
Love the noise
Love the headturning!
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

The valves don’t seem to be moving at all,
I think from what I have read, with the engine off the valves are open (loud), upon start up the valves are open , until the vacuum closes them?? Is that correct??
I’ve been under the car and had someone start it, and they don’t seem to move

I have another look at the vacuum lines and make sure there all connected
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Given you know the valves work smoothly, then I would take the pipe off one side and see if it is creating a suction. That will get you one step closer to deciding if it’s a mechanical (vacuum) or electrical/switching issue
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:28 am Given you know the valves work smoothly, then I would take the pipe off one side and see if it is creating a suction. That will get you one step closer to deciding if it’s a mechanical (vacuum) or electrical/switching issue

I would also think that the active exhaust vacuum pipes suck rather than blow air but this early F-Type ‘Active Exhaust Vacuum Control Diagram’ (which is prior to the vacuum conversion) seems to show the air flow going into the exhaust valves?

This is what it says about the ‘Air flow check valve’ and ‘Air flow restrictor’ shown on the diagram.....

“In the pipes between the solenoid valve and the exhaust valves, a restrictor is installed in parallel with a check valve. The restrictor slows the flow of air through the pipes, to damp the opening of the exhaust valves. The check valve ensures that air flows only through the restrictor when the exhaust valves are opened, but allows the restrictor to be by-passed when the exhaust valves are closed, to give an undamped closing movement.”

I suppose the only way to be sure is to remove the vacuum pipe from a working exhaust valve to check if it’s sucking or blowing air?

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:13 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:28 am Given you know the valves work smoothly, then I would take the pipe off one side and see if it is creating a suction. That will get you one step closer to deciding if it’s a mechanical (vacuum) or electrical/switching issue

I would also think that the active exhaust vacuum pipes suck rather than blow air but this early F-Type ‘Active Exhaust Vacuum Control Diagram’ (which is prior to the vacuum conversion) seems to show the air flow going into the exhaust valves?

It's 100% certain to be a vacuum. Given the conversion is to take a feed from the inlet manifold which has a vacuum in it, not a positive pressure
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:51 pm

It's 100% certain to be a vacuum. Given the conversion is to take a feed from the inlet manifold which has a vacuum in it, not a positive pressure

I would think so.

However, the earlier set-up was also operated by a vacuum as shown in the diagram I posted, which seems to show the air flow going into the exhaust valves?

To be 100% certain, the vacuum pipe that connects directly to the exhaust valves would need to be removed and checked.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

The orientation of the check valve in the diagram would result in rapid opening and slow closing of the valves.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

RPSN wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:51 pm

I would think so.

However, the earlier set-up was also operated by a vacuum as shown in the diagram I posted, which seems to show the air flow going into the exhaust valves?

To be 100% certain, the vacuum pipe that connects directly to the exhaust valves would need to be removed and checked.
My read of that diagram is clear
The vacuum pump creates a partial vacuum and that is stored in the reservoir. The suction applied to the exhaust valves goes through a damper, which will be there to smooth the process so the valves open progressively and not in a jerk motion as the pump works. To close the valves air enters the pipework through a filter and valve which is undamped and thus allows the valves to close rapidly. If not then when closing you'd have to wait ages for the vacuum to decay by leakage. Air flow is bi directional in the pipe depending upon the desire to open or close.

Later cars simply eliminated the vacuum pump and reservoir [noisy and unreliable] with a straight vacuum from the inlet manifold
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post