Paint removal question

Detailing, Washing, Waxing..
Sirrith

Post by Sirrith »

Hello, I'm considering an f type that has had the front splitter parts (the black plastic ones) sprayed to match the car body colour, same deal with some supposedly real carbon fibre SVR style side skirts that were installed. Would anyone know the best way to remove the paint without damaging the original finish, or if that's not possible, how the original finish could be restored (or whether it would be cheaper to just buy new parts)? I've seen various recommendations including sanding, but I'm not sure whether that would affect fitment, and I'm not 100% sure on the material of the front parts regarding chemical methods.

Thank you!

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I don’t think you have any chance whatsoever in removing the paint to get back to an acceptable original finish on the splitter parts.The plastic parts have a slightly rough texture so primer/paint will be deeply ingrained and bonded. Just buying replacements will be quick and easy. You could resort satin black as an alternative, but expect road rash in time.

For the side skirts if real carbon then you could sand back to the lacquer and then re lacquer, or even paint strip. I’d leave it to a body shop and would want to be sure they are carbon fibre before spending time. If they are real then valuable and worth the time and effort
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Sirrith

Post by Sirrith »

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:12 am I don’t think you have any chance whatsoever in removing the paint to get back to an acceptable original finish on the splitter parts.The plastic parts have a slightly rough texture so primer/paint will be deeply ingrained and bonded. Just buying replacements will be quick and easy. You could resort satin black as an alternative, but expect road rash in time.

For the side skirts if real carbon then you could sand back to the lacquer and then re lacquer, or even paint strip. I’d leave it to a body shop and would want to be sure they are carbon fibre before spending time. If they are real then valuable and worth the time and effort
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll be looking for replacement parts sooner than expected! Thank you
ralphr1780

Post by ralphr1780 »

Well if you use a pressure washer, you may get some result: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6115&p=63387#p63387
:roll:
ralph
V6S-AWD-Coupé-LHD-Caldera Red-MY20 aka Red Devil
SVR-Coupé-LHD-Santorini Black-MY20 aka Nyx

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post