Low profile trolley jack

Anything F-Type related......
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

Also, just for info, this is the one I use and it easily fits under the F Type as well as Cerberas and Tamoras!

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563717 ... olley-jack
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm

shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

Just got the SGS jack today.
It looks like from other posts that the jacking point at the rear is between the three large bolts on the support plate.

Just given it a go, and the low profile SGS trolley jack has plenty of clearance, but not enough reach to get to the support plate.
The body of the jack touches the side skirts way before it's in position. Shame, as it looks like a nicely made jack.

Unless I'm aiming for the wrong point?

IMG_0329 (1).jpeg

MY18 V8R AWD
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

shatnersbassoon wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:45 pm Just got the SGS jack today.
It looks like from other posts that the jacking point at the rear is between the three large bolts on the support plate.

Just given it a go, and the low profile SGS trolley jack has plenty of clearance, but not enough reach to get to the support plate.
The body of the jack touches the side skirts way before it's in position. Shame, as it looks like a nicely made jack.

The rear jacking point you’re aiming for is correct.

As the SGS low profile trolley jack has plenty of clearance under your car but the body of it touches the side skirts before it’s on the rear jacking point, if you want to keep it there’s an easy fix which is cheap as chips....viewtopic.php?p=43394#p43394

See my pic...

1.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

The std Halfords jack goes under mine as a cheep solution, as long as you’re not fussed about using a puck - I do need a couple of short lengths of deck plank for the front of my ‘65 Mustang with Shelby drop though.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

RPSN wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:09 pm

As the SGS low profile trolley jack has plenty of clearance under your car but the body of it touches the side skirts before it’s on the rear jacking point, if you want to keep it there’s an easy fix which is cheap as chips....viewtopic.php?p=43394#p43394

See my pic...

I think I'll have to give that a try with the blocks of wood.
My car has the side skirts which stick out that'll cause an issue for lot's of the trolley jacks I suppose.
The front jacking point looks to be even further inboard, and I can't see any 'cheap' jacks that look to have the reach.
MY18 V8R AWD
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

The Costco 'Arcan' 3 ton (US) jack has super long reach with it's low body and easily reaches almost any point under the car, regardless of sideskirts.

Shame the long version only appears in store from time to time (not that I need another one) and weighs a tonne itself
Similar to this, but even longer 'snout' and higher lift:
https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automoti ... U/p/254971

Much more a workshop tool though than occasional wheel changes, but well worth the investment for those in need of regular use.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

shatnersbassoon wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:28 am
RPSN wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:09 pm

See my pic...
I think I'll have to give that a try with the blocks of wood.
My car has the side skirts which stick out that'll cause an issue for lot's of the trolley jacks I suppose.
The front jacking point looks to be even further inboard, and I can't see any 'cheap' jacks that look to have the reach.
It's easy and inexpensive to do.

The front jacking points are more or less the same distance inboard as the rear. Here’s a good link for the jacking points.... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=858

With regards to what Lunar posted....
Lunar wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:05 pm The std Halfords jack goes under mine as a cheep solution, as long as you’re not fussed about using a puck - I do need a couple of short lengths of deck plank for the front of my ‘65 Mustang with Shelby drop though.
The current standard Halfords 2 and 3 tonne trolley jacks have a minimum height of 14cm. Although this leaves enough clearance to fit under the rear jacking points on my car, it isn’t enough to fit under the front jacking points without raising the car with blocks etc.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

I have side skirts and the Halfords Low Profile Jack fits perfectly on the Jacking points, front and rear, no blocks of wood required. Its a perfectly good jack for home use.

If you go the blocks of wood route, be careful to ensure the car lowers properly on the blocks after working on it otherwise you'll be lowering the sideskirts onto the jack!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:28 pm I have side skirts and the Halfords Low Profile Jack fits perfectly on the Jacking points, front and rear, no blocks of wood required. Its a perfectly good jack for home use.

If you go the blocks of wood route, be careful to ensure the car lowers properly on the blocks after working on it otherwise you'll be lowering the sideskirts onto the jack!
As for the Halfords Low Profile Jack being a ‘perfectly good jack for home use’, I wouldn’t trust it after seeing this....
scharlton wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 pm I too have the Halfords low profile jack and it fits easily.

However, I would put some blocks under the car once jacked as having left the car on the jack while I went for lunch, it had dropped on my return. I guess never really trust any jack, always support once jacked.

With regards to the 'blocks of wood route', the solid wooden ramps I use to raise the car sufficiently for the trolley jack to fit comfortably underneath the jacking points work really well. Also, it’s very easy to ensure the car lowers properly onto them as they’re a good width.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post