P300 to P380 - anyone done it?

Anything F-Type related......
LockNumber25

Post by LockNumber25 »

Hi.

Owned a P300 for the last year and itching for a change. Anyone gone P300 to P380? I'm not going to be able to stretch to the V8 for a good while. I use it more as a GT than sports car. I'm so tempted but it's but it's going to cost about £10k I reckon. Worth it for the noise alone? Is the P380 actually noticeably quicker, extra 80 BHP but a heavier car? I used to have an XKR and loved the pull and strong in gear acceleration. Do you get that from the P380?

Obviously will test drive but just interested in opinions because I'm rubbish at saying no to myself.

SESH

Post by SESH »

I have never had a P300 but have had my V6S 380BHP for six years. It is certainly a very rapid car and very planted. Many experts will argue that the 380 V6S is the best balanced of the F Types. I am in the process of selling it after having now bought another car. it's a MY2016 (2015 registered) Convertible in Dark Sapphire Metallic and Ivory interior (Premium Sports Seats). 29,800 miles. It has just about every extra that Jaguar could put on it. Condition is almost as new. Full Jaguar service history. Currently selling via a premium dealership with all dealer facilities and warranty. Don't know if this could be of interest to you, happy to give more info if of interest. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
LockNumber25

Post by LockNumber25 »

Thanks for the offer Mike but I'm not after a convertible. Good luck with the sale though.
SESH

Post by SESH »

Thanks, hope you find what you are looking for, You won't be disappointed with the V6S.
Mike
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Highland Green
1966 Corvette Stingray Big Block
1973 E Type Convertible
1963 Triumph TR4
Ex F Type V6S MY2016
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Ok, here are some somewhat biased opinions supporting your decision. ;)

I never owned the P300 but have tested two P300s fairly extensively. It's a different experience with the P380 and if you test drive one you'll probably find that the answers to your questions are yes. Worth it? Absolutely. You get an F-Type like it was meant to be. It's not only about the sound but the whole package including the character of the engine and the added features like the adaptive dampers and LSD. Unless you really need AWD traction for daily driving in winter conditions, focus on an RWD to avoid unnecessary complexity and weight.

I'm certainly no expert but an utter F-Type nerd and have to agree with SESH. I'm one of those who have concluded that a V6S with RWD only (or a 400 if you like its visual tweaks) is the ultimate, purest, most characterful and best sounding F-Type configuration. That said you can't go wrong with moving from the P300 to the P380 unless you have some very specific preferences that just the P300 fulfils. Each to their own but what I expect from this kind of car doesn't come together as well in any other version.

I wouldn't bother with thoughts of stretching to a V8 in the future. With all due respect to the V8, as glorious as it is and as well as it suits the bigger Jags like the XK, XJ and XF I never thought it was a good fit for the F-Type and never considered one.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
SilverDreamMachine

Post by SilverDreamMachine »

I'm a big P300 fan, having owned a MY20 convertible for the past three years. In my view the P300 is a better overall package than the P380, with better balance and more than quick enough for UK roads, plus the benefits of cheaper to buy, insure and run.

Whilst a great car, my issue with the P380 is simply that the engine is based on the V8, with most of the weight without the benefits of the V8's power and sound, making it a handful in RWD format. Although clearly its supercharger provides a much more impactful sound than the P300's 4 pot turbo (which I like).

Personally I would either advise you to wait until you can afford a P450 AWD or get into a facelift P300 - the suspension and steering improvements are well worth it, plus you can actually see at night with the premium LED lights.

I appreciate many will disagree - this is just my opinion and trying to help the poster.

Good luck!
21MY P450 AWD, Coupe, Blue; ex-20MY P300, Convertible, Silver
LockNumber25

Post by LockNumber25 »

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate the thoughts. I think I'll keep an open mind at the moment and if the perfect P380 comes along take a look. @SilverDreamMachine - I'm interested in what you're saying about the facelift improvements I must admit I thought the changes were all cosmetic. I also have the 20% JLR discount through my brother and keep building a P450 75, tempting. You've gone P300 to P450 facelift, no regrets I imagine?
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

About the P300 facelift, there do seem to be some noticeable improvements under the skin. I drove one similarly specced late pre-facelift P300 and one facelift. I can't quite put my finger on what it was but somehow the facelift felt and drove better.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Rob64

Post by Rob64 »

Hi,

My first F type was a P300 brand new, lovely looking car with lots of extras. It was quick from a standing start (lighter front end of course) but it never really had that wow factor for me, don't get me wrong it was a nice car but when I looked at other f types and the sound they generated plus the power it was a no brainer for me to change. So I got myself a P380 in brg with manual gear box, took me over a year to find one and I would not change it for anything. Yes it's heavier and through the manual gears it's not as quick but at the top end it is much more enjoyable to drive with the noise and the supercharger was for me personally important. Taking it on the autobahn in Germany the sound was incredible. I guess to sum up the difference between the 2, I liked the P300, I love the P380. Good luck in whatever you choose, as always it's down to preference but I would definitely test drive one to see the difference.
3.0 V6S MY17
scm

Post by scm »

Rob64 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:39 pmMy first F type was a P300 brand new, lovely looking car with lots of extras. It was quick from a standing start (lighter front end of course) but it never really had that wow factor for me ...
That's the point, it's not a "proper" F-Type, regardless of how good a car it is.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post