Jaguar F-Type differential failures - Input needed.

Anything F-Type related......
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

The charged you 300 quid for a diff oil change...WTF. And they had tried to charge you 700 plus........
Seems a bit high....did the use unicorns blood to refill it.

Fiddly job, but easily DIY.
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.

Sirrith

Post by Sirrith »

AJ13 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:47 pm The charged you 300 quid for a diff oil change...WTF. And they had tried to charge you 700 plus........
Seems a bit high....did the use unicorns blood to refill it.

Fiddly job, but easily DIY.
Yes, I live in Hong Kong and service by official dealers here are always ridiculously overpriced, even moreso than overseas. They also wanted to charge me upwards of £960 for a new battery and £1500 for rear discs and pads (I said no). Funny thing is, for the brakes, the salesperson told me they needed changing, but the service document came back saying they were practically new...
Martinr83

Post by Martinr83 »

Car going in on Monday at Sytner Coventry for a new diff under “extended warranty”. When I took the car in for a service in November and mentioned strange noises form the back of the car and said I thought it may be the diff, the look of “l’m not surprised “ was quite telling! They will have it for a week, to take lots of pics of the offending item to send to JLR for approval for a new diff. I was assured that this was standard practice. The good news was that I was assured that they hadn’t had any cars back for a second knackered diff
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

if you had a 2015 v6s that appears to never have had the differential oil change, would you ask a dealer to do it at 42000 miles?
JamesO

Post by JamesO »

I just came across this thread, having been told by my indie that doing annual service he noticed oil weep from rear diff and slight play in the pinion bearing. Prognosis that the diff will ultimately fail and need replacement (£3.6k) but can't predict remaining life.
Is there anything to be gained by trying an oil change and pinion seal replacement? There's no discernible clunking on turning etc, but mechanic did say he could detect a slight whine from the back end; I can't hear it, but I'm too busy enjoying the exhaust note...
Did Tel get sufficient input from users to make any submission to JLR as with the brace corrosion issue?
2016MY V6 S AWD Convertible Carpathian Grey
davidd

Post by davidd »

diff seals done at 20k miles and also 35kmiles 2016 v8r
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

mine needs replacing at 30k no weeping or leaks but my indy says it only had half the amount of oil he would expect in it, and the Jag dealer can't of changed it at the appropriate service
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post