bonnet vents

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JayT

Post by JayT »

Posted on another thread, but I’m a new F Type owner 2014 S model. I read all the same threads, so took off engine cover, covered all metal parts with WD40, then designed these vent covers for when the car is parked up on my drive…… problem sorted, no water ingress!!!

Sandytim

Post by Sandytim »

[/quote]

The engine has a very large plastic tray covering the top Sc and beneath the SC are the injectors, so it's unlikely (but not impossible) that water ingress through the bonnet vents is the problem. More likely scenario that the coolant Y-piece may have leaked which is a known issue.

The bonnet vents to look out for:

These DO NOT let water in freely:
1.jpg

These DO let water in:
2.jpg

Open mesh are also found on the AWD's as mentioned further towards the nose, but still let water in.
[/quote]

This is mis-informative in many ways.
1/ Both of these vents shown allow water to ingress the engine bay freely.
2/ The engine cover does NOT prevent the water from accessing the tops of the fuel injectors.
3/ The y pipe coolant pipe is a separate issue.

If you want proof just lay a towel on top of your engine cover and then wash your car.
Then do the same without the towel the open the bonnet and observe where the water has flowed.
A simple re-design of the engine cover by JRL would have solve this problem, However they decided not to.
This is why many owners modify the cover.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post