2016 Battery Indicator

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

My car battery is going on 8 years and I think It's going to give up the ghost. My question is does it have an indicator to tell me when to replace, or must I wait for a complete failure ? So far it's fine, but that could change.
thanks
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

gasgas

Post by gasgas »

at 8 years why wait and get stuck?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Usually they have an indicator on the top that if you look into it and it shows green the battery is OK (ie charged).
It’s not a performance test though. Places like Halfords can do that free of charge for you.
You can also check the voltage after a run when it’s rested for an hour or so and if it’s 12.6v you’re good.

All said as above I’d replace now at 8 years whilst you have time to shop around and get a deal, rather than a panic buy when one of the cells fails and it won’t even start.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:48 am All said as above I’d replace now at 8 years whilst you have time to shop around and get a deal, rather than a panic buy when one of the cells fails and it won’t even start.
I've had batteries of similar age just die, as C10jeeper mentioned. One battery started the car without a problem and got the engine warmed up. Then straight after when the engine was turned off again, it was completely dead, no dash lights and not even an interior light!

At 8 years old it's time to get a new battery. I replaced one in our XE (8 years old) just before Christmas as it popped up the 'low battery start engine' warning even though it had been put on the Ctek occasionally. Just not worth the bother of waiting for it to die.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Pilot Pete

Post by Pilot Pete »

I’ve just started getting the ‘low battery start engine’ warning - been on my CTEK 3 times over the last month which sorts it for a few more weeks. I just want to make sure it’s battery rather than alternator before replacing it - what’s the functional test for the alternator?
2015 F Type V6S coupe in French Racing Blue
Exterior style pack
Panoramic roof
Upgraded brakes
19” Centrifuge wheels
Sports seats
Flat bottomed, heated steering wheel
Independent climate control
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

OK, so from what I've read there is in fact a battery indicator, so I'll look out for it. And yes I plan on replacing it within the next 2 months. Thanks guys.
Can any competent battery place do it or is there a special process to follow.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

Pilot Pete wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:58 am I’ve just started getting the ‘low battery start engine’ warning - been on my CTEK 3 times over the last month which sorts it for a few more weeks. I just want to make sure it’s battery rather than alternator before replacing it - what’s the functional test for the alternator?
I have a voltmeter that plugs into the 12V socket - it shows around 14.5V when the alternator is working.

As mine's MY18 it looks like I have a couple of years left. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:52 am OK, so from what I've read there is in fact a battery indicator, so I'll look out for it. And yes I plan on replacing it within the next 2 months. Thanks guys.
My plan for when I need to do it is to fully charge the new battery, then fully charge the old one and then swap them over - that way the BMS should believe nothing's changed. Feel free to disabuse me of my logic as necessary!

Oh, and possibly putting a spare one on the underhood terminals to maintain any setings during the swap.

Lastly, don't close the boot with no battery connected!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

santoshlv426 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:52 am OK, so from what I've read there is in fact a battery indicator, so I'll look out for it. And yes I plan on replacing it within the next 2 months. Thanks guys.
Yes, they can. I just pointed out Halfords as they are national and free.
To test fully they really need to more than just voltage by putting the battery under load.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Do ensure the car processes are shut down fully before changing the battery. There's more about this in other threads in here.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post