Ketchup & Mustard

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Yeah it's that Ian Callum magic. Although the X150 XK hasn't aged quite as well as the F-Type I'd definitely take a late XK or XKR over an LC500 if I was looking for something in that class and size.

Come to think of it the LC500 is still probably the best looking Lexus ever. IMHO they've simply never produced one single really good looking car. The early ones starting with the LS400 were too bland and then they went crazy with the design in the noughties. I guess I never really got Japanese car styling.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

The Lexus / Toyota SC400 wasn't a bad looking coupe in its time.
If F-types were to be considerably more expensive and rarer, it would probably be considered to be 'better' than the Ferrari and Aston. Its design and engineering are quite something, spoiled a bit I think by the front end face-lift on the latest version.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Jaguandy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:00 pmIf F-types were to be considerably more expensive and rarer, it would probably be considered to be 'better' than the Ferrari and Aston.
It already is, to those in the know. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

MajorTom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:28 am Guess I'm in a minority but I think it has great proportions and some nice angles but also that it's over designed and I just couldn't live with that face.
When I first saw the LC500, I loved the looks and how it remained pretty faithful to the original concept, however, after seeing more pictures and then finally seeing one in person, I think that it looks too blocky and squared-off from the rear which detracts from the overall design.

I think it's a stunner from the front three-quarters though.

The ketchup is soo much better looking. :)
I absolutely agree with no bias whatsoever... 😉
V6S RWD Coupé (MY16)
Italian Racing Red w/Black Pack & Pano-roof
Loads of toys & goodies... but no heated seats :?:
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Lunar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:41 pm You must have been later getting there.

Went at opening time and the cafe certainly got busy. Nice to see them roasting their own sacks of coffee beans and we had a tour of the members area round the back, with about 6 XJS’s being prepped for some new race series I think.
Ah interesting, I arrived at 9am and parked around the side of the main building, maybe we went on different days? (I went on 3rd Feb).

I did briefly see a black F-Type turn up but unfortunately it disappeared as quickly as it arrived!

... we had a tour of the members area round the back, with about 6 XJS’s being prepped for some new race series I think.
Wicked, I had a walk around of the members area later in the morning and saw the same, although there was also an XJ220 under a very thin cover (purple paintwork from what I could tell), looked absolutely gorgeous from the top-down.
V6S RWD Coupé (MY16)
Italian Racing Red w/Black Pack & Pano-roof
Loads of toys & goodies... but no heated seats :?:
jonm

Post by jonm »

For a long time I was planning on buying the LC500, obessesed with them, read everything I could find and watched every video on youtube, then I went to see one in person and oh dear, it's made for the american market isn't it, it so dam BIG! and it's not as pretty in the flesh as it is on photos, it might actually be ugly, I don't know I can't quite figure that bit out, but its definatly too big and too heavy. Driving it you could really feel the weight of the thing, it was also the hybrid and I didn't like the strange way it changed gear and the strange sound it made as the CVT gearbox tried to simulate shifts.
Bloody fanastic motorway cruiser though.
The other car I had in mind was the Alpine A110, but this was too light and basic feeling to be nice for long motorway drives, perfection would be an LC500 to get to where your going and an A110 to race around in when you get there.
Thats where I settled on the F-type, It does both, It's a good compromise of GT comfort and Sports car agility. It's also very good value for money, due to the brands historic reputation with reliability.
My16 F-Type V6 340
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

My mistake - it was the Sunday I went!

And yes, XJ220 was hiding in plain sight 😉
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

jonm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:36 pmThats where I settled on the F-type, It does both, It's a good compromise of GT comfort and Sports car agility. It's also very good value for money, due to the brands historic reputation with reliability.
Exactly, the F-Type is such a great combo right between a large lardy GT and agile little thing like the Alpine which basically feels like a French Lotus.

I always had a soft spot for the Alpine too and think it's a brilliant product and fascinating piece of engineering but it would be too basic and too much Renault for me. A colleague has a lovely Alpine that he got brand new and it's always a pleasure to see it at work especially parked next to my F-Type. :)
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...