Windscreen Wipers 'Service Position'

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Only recently I’ve found out that my 2016 car has the windscreen wipers ‘Service Position’ facility which moves the wipers towards the centre of the windscreen for wiper blade maintenance. In this position it’s easier to change the driver’s side (UK) wiper blade. However, it’s easier to change the passenger side with the wipers in the normal ‘Park’ position. I’ve replaced both blades before in the ‘Park’ position with no issues (apart from reaching half way across the windscreen/bonnet to change the driver's side!) even though the Jaguar instructions say not to, to ‘avoid damage to the bonnet’ (which is a precautionary measure).

Also, when the wipers are in the ‘Service’ position it's easier to clean/polish the black plastic cowl panel if need be (located between the windscreen and bonnet) as you can get into the areas that are otherwise difficult to access when the wipers are normally in the 'Park' position.
Note: The bonnet must be closed for the wipers ‘Service' position to be activated. Once the wipers are in the ‘Service' position the bonnet can be opened if need be which gives full access to the black plastic cowl panel.

Prior to this I didn’t know that my car had the facility as it doesn’t say so in my F-Type handbook or on https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/ when selecting the F-Type model year 2016. I only found out by chance when I selected the model year 2017.

In case anyone else is unaware of this, here’s the instructions which are taken from the above link (after selecting model year 2017 onwards).....

WIPERS SERVICE POSITION

CAUTION
To avoid damage to the bonnet, do not lift the wiper blades when they are in the normal parked position.

NOTES
The smart key must remain inside the vehicle while the wiper blades are replaced.
Before changing a wiper blade, the wiper arms must be set in the service position as follows:
1. Make sure the ignition is switched off.
2. Switch the ignition on, then off again.
3. Immediately pull the wash/wipe control toward the driver, as if to command a single wipe. Hold this position while switching the ignition on again. The wipers move to the service position. See WIPER OPERATION.
4. When the new parts have been fitted, switch the ignition off. The wipers return to the park position.

NOTES
Fit only replacement wiper blades that are identical to the original specification

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...