NOCO Boost GB20/GB40 Portable Jump Starter pack

Anything F-Type related......
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Also have a GB40 ( since Sept 21) it’s kept fully charged in my car, bagged along with assorted emergency kit. Test it twice a year, never yet more than 20 minutes back to fully charged. Used it on two occasions and no issues.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Thanks guys. Does it come with its own USB charger lead?
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

RPSN wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:50 pm Thanks guys. Does it come with its own USB charger lead?
Yes, see both below.
“In The Box - GB40 UltraSafe Portable Car Jump Starter, Heavy Duty Booster Clamps, 12-Volt Car Charger, Micro USB Charging Cable, Microfiber Storage Bag”

MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cheers.

The NOCO GB40 (1000A) seems to be quite popular so far. However, as the GB20 (500A) is suitable for petrol engines up to 4 litres I was thinking this should be sufficient for my 3 litre V6S?

There again, after reading the following review, the GB40 appears to be the better option of the two and the price difference is only around £20 more.....

“The battery is the expendable part in Nocos design (and in fact in any lithium jump starter). By using the device you will sacrifice the battery sooner or later. They are designed like that. The only way around this is to oversize the jump starter, i.e. go for the bigger ones to use them on the engines recommended for the smaller ones. Used on the same engine the GB150 will last much longer than the GB40.”
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

RPSN wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm Thanks for the info.

Typical that it died just after the 1 year manufacturer warranty period! How long ago did you buy it?

So far they don't sound any good unless as you say they've improved?
It was a fair while ago now. I want to say 2019 maybe. They have come out with newer models since. I think mine suffered from lack of use more than anything else. I don't think the battery liked being in the car during cold and hot spells
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cheers.

The NOCO GB series seem to be ok but apparently some of the newer GBX series are having issues with ‘not taking a charge’ as explained in this video.....

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

RPSN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:57 am Cheers.

The NOCO GB series seem to be ok but apparently some of the newer GBX series are having issues with ‘not taking a charge’ as explained in this video.....

My battery failures would show as it get stuck charging on 3/4 and no matter if I used the usb or the 12v adapter I couldn't get it to go any higher than 3/4. After leaving for a few days it would slowly run down. Apart from the battery issues I really liked the unit. If they made one with a replaceable battery cartridge I would 100% buy another. Sadly once the battery has failed they can't help and at £350 a unit I wasn't going to go again. I'll just keep the money for 10 years of home start breakdown cover 😂
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Just buy the GB40 as you won't need anything else; it kicks out enough amps, is robust, and works. Or you could wait until one of the well-known German discounters have a booster pack on offer...?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

paddy1000111 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:21 am My battery failures would show as it get stuck charging on 3/4 and no matter if I used the usb or the 12v adapter I couldn't get it to go any higher than 3/4. After leaving for a few days it would slowly run down. Apart from the battery issues I really liked the unit. If they made one with a replaceable battery cartridge I would 100% buy another. Sadly once the battery has failed they can't help and at £350 a unit I wasn't going to go again. I'll just keep the money for 10 years of home start breakdown cover 😂
At £350 I don’t blame you there!.....‘Once bitten, twice shy’ as they say.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Kev wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:28 am Just buy the GB40 as you won't need anything else; it kicks out enough amps, is robust, and works. Or you could wait until one of the well-known German discounters have a booster pack on offer...?
Yes, the NOCO GB40 is my preferred choice. If I buy one I’ll be placing it in the passenger footwell, especially after the battery positive lead deciding to pop off on its own! When I’m not using the car I’ll keep it at home as that may prolong its lifespan (not outside in cold weather etc).
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post