JayEmm testing the P300

Anything F-Type related......
scm

Post by scm »

mickjaguar wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:40 pm I'd quite like to try a P300 out of curiosity, just to see what it's like, as I've owned the V6 and V8. Might see if I can blag one when mine goes in for service to complete the picture.
I had one as a weekend loaner and it's okay, not at all bad, but it lacks the hooligan aspect we think the F-Type should really be.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

relaxitscool

Post by relaxitscool »

stefan9107 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:13 pm
As far as the P300... I'm sorry guys who own it, but as far as I am concerned you only get that one for financial reasons. Outside of that the only thing that I can come up with is that you like how the car looks but aren't really fussed about the character of the engine and the sound that comes with it.
Are you saying I have a poor man's F Type πŸ˜‰

I actually bought for the latter reason. I loved how it looked, simple as that really.

Mine now has 342bhp and 387lbft just because it can and I know unless I track it I'll never make full use of that on British roads for more than a few seconds before I come across Mr and Mrs Miggins, which is one of the reasons I wasn't too bothered about a V6 or V8. I honestly don't think you need more than 300bhp on our roads to enjoy it. And I'm fortunate enough to drive some fast cars fast as a day job.

I really love the car and this forum is great, I do hope there won't be cylinder snobbery on here πŸ˜‚
Rob
MY19 P300
Caldera red, black pack
Celtic Engine and Gearbox remap.
Other bits and bobs with more to follow..
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

relaxitscool wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:28 pm I really love the car and this forum is great, I do hope there won't be cylinder snobbery on here πŸ˜‚
Damn, and I was thinking of adopting an aloof V8 aura for 2024!

We have to fight our corner too, you know. Those 400 Sport owners with their limited edition, have been known to say our SVRs are as common as belly buttons 🀣.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Kev

Post by Kev »

relaxitscool wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:28 pmI'll never make full use of that on British roads for more than a few seconds before I come across Mr and Mrs Miggins
Would this be the same Mrs Miggins who owns a pie shop?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
relaxitscool

Post by relaxitscool »

Kev wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:40 pm
relaxitscool wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:28 pmI'll never make full use of that on British roads for more than a few seconds before I come across Mr and Mrs Miggins
Would this be the same Mrs Miggins who owns a pie shop?
Yes that one πŸ˜‚
MY19 P300
Caldera red, black pack
Celtic Engine and Gearbox remap.
Other bits and bobs with more to follow..
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

relaxitscool wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:28 pm
stefan9107 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:13 pm
As far as the P300... I'm sorry guys who own it, but as far as I am concerned you only get that one for financial reasons. Outside of that the only thing that I can come up with is that you like how the car looks but aren't really fussed about the character of the engine and the sound that comes with it.
Are you saying I have a poor man's F Type πŸ˜‰

I actually bought for the latter reason. I loved how it looked, simple as that really.

Mine now has 342bhp and 387lbft just because it can and I know unless I track it I'll never make full use of that on British roads for more than a few seconds before I come across Mr and Mrs Miggins, which is one of the reasons I wasn't too bothered about a V6 or V8. I honestly don't think you need more than 300bhp on our roads to enjoy it. And I'm fortunate enough to drive some fast cars fast as a day job.

I really love the car and this forum is great, I do hope there won't be cylinder snobbery on here πŸ˜‚
Rob
I agree re power. 300-350hp I think is the sweet spot for a road car and I'd of happily taken a V8 with that much power (although I'd question the engineers if thats all they got out of a supercharged 5.0 V8). For me it's all about the character of the engine and the theatre of the sound rather than outright pace. I think the burble tune can be a bit excessive on the older V8's like mine, but even just pulling away from the lights at a medium throttle puts a smile on my face and that's what I love about the V6/V8 engines. After years of compromising in cars like the Golf R and C43, cars that felt too "normal" at low speed, I wanted one that reminded me of what it is at every opportunity.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I had to run in a gearbox reset in my R, so was pottering about for a while. The V8 can be viscious of course, but there's also something satisfying about pulling away just above tickover and cruising at very low revs. Still quicker than 'normal' drivers.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Kev

Post by Kev »

The V8 is something I do miss from my XF-R, subtle burbling at low revs but sounding a bit fruity once you mash the throttle, and the wave of torque made A and B road overtakes a breeze. My V6 does make a nice noise though, so I'm happy with that. I'd always go for an older car with higher specification/trim than something newer and basic, and with your budget you could buy a Yaris GR with Circuit Pack or an Alpine A110, both excellent drivers cars but let's face it, the F-Type looks the nuts
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
basher

Post by basher »

mickjaguar wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:27 pm We have to fight our corner too, you know. Those 400 Sport owners with their limited edition, have been known to say our SVRs are as common as belly buttons 🀣.
🀣
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

stefan9107 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:45 pm 300-350hp I think is the sweet spot for a road car and I'd of happily taken a V8 with that much power (although I'd question the engineers if thats all they got out of a supercharged 5.0 V8). For me it's all about the character of the engine and the theatre of the sound rather than outright pace. I think the burble tune can be a bit excessive on the older V8's like mine, but even just pulling away from the lights at a medium throttle puts a smile on my face and that's what I love about the V6/V8 engines.
Couldn't agree more. For me it's all about the engine's character, power delivery, sound and how all of that matches the type and character of the car. That's also one of the reasons to why I always thought an RWD V6S is THE ultimate F-Type config and went for one. Clarkson's comments about its performance from the legendary original Topgear review of the F-Type still feel spot on. ;)

To me the F-Type is a sublime car for twisty roads and road trips. Drag racing or track capabilities are completely irrelevant although I also enjoy driving mine on the NΓΌrburgring and autobahn. To me displacement and the number of cylinders is also irrelevant. Two or sixteen cylinders, 1 or 7 litres, turbo or supercharger, petrol, diesel or electricity etc... I don't give a sh*t as long as it delivers the right performance and character. That said I actually think the V6S has a bit too much power and I'm pretty sure a base V6 or remapped P300 also cut the mustard performance wise. I drive mine to the limit on twisty public roads and wouldn't mind if it didn't reach the limit quite as quickly as it does.

For different reasons I'm not a fan of the idea of a V8 in a car like the F-Type, but if I wanted my F-Type to make V8 noises an RWD P450 would be the most appealing version. I like the idea of that version of the F-Type more the more I think about it.

I'd say the only thing that could be held against the P300, depending on personal expectations and preferences, is the engine's character/sound. Not really its performance and definitely not it's number of cylinders.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupΓ© RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post