sad days are coming

Anything F-Type related......
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

simpleR wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:38 pm I just don't see a 100k+ 2-seater electric sports car with 550-600bhp selling in big enough numbers to warrant the investment!

Not when you can have a BYD Seal with 530bhp with every option for under £48k and 3 extra seats. Other than looks of course.

Unless it's something special, 1000bhp or 600+ mile range, 2+2, 5yr warranty or similar. With current F-Types over the 10 year period selling on average 750 units worldwide per month I wouldn't be surprised if a new electric model would a tenth of that!
Today’s cancellation by Aston Martin of relaunching Lagonda with a high end luxury sports ev to rival the likes of Bentley’s Bentayga, seems to support your view.no money in it.

Butt ugly but the catchy sounding Hongqi E-HS9 to rival the RR Cullinan but £230k less shows how the Chinese are after all markets and I’m sure will take global market share..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

take a look at the taycan …around 50k for a couple of years old car at 140k upwards and being truthful jags arnt known for their residuals!
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

I still can't figure all this out.

The manufacturer's are scaling back EV plans because the market for them isn't there, but the governments are forcing them to make more or face huge fines.
I'd of expected the manufacturers to start pushing back harder by now. It all seems a bit too quiet from them.
Jaguar especially just seem to have happily walked to the end of the plank without so much as a protest or gun to their back. It's almost like Tata is just expecting the brand to die off. Either that or the plan is for Jaguar to become the budget Range Rover brand. Kind of like Seat/Skoda to VW/Audi.

I also think smaller brands like Jag are as good as dead in an EV only world. The "unique" elements of the smaller brands can't carry over to EV's which are much of much the same thing regardless of manufacturer. They can't compete with the big boys from Germany, America, Korea or Japan on price/volume, let alone the flood of Chinese cars coming to the market now. I just don't see a future for them if they carry on down this route.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
pirateprentice

Post by pirateprentice »

What I read was:
  • 4-seater GT to be announced in 2024.
  • Some other monstrosities in 2025.
Probably never another 2-seater. Certainly not one that is low to the ground and has a long nose.
We are driving the last of them. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.
MY21 P300 Coupe in British Racing Green with black-pack
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Reading into the government rules that came into affect from 3rd Jan.

The zero emission vehicle (ZEV) mandate sets out the percentage of new zero emission cars and vans manufacturers will be required to produce each year.

This year, 10% of vans and 22% of cars sold by manufacturers will need to be electric.

The targets for manufacturers will increase each year, requiring 80% of new cars and 70% of new vans sold in Great Britain to be zero emission by 2030, increasing to 100% by 2035.

So that might explain ditching models etc. The fine is apparently £15k per car that doesn't meet the 22% target. Perhaps that is the JLR plan for land rover? Put up price £15k, continue to sell whatever you want and pay the fine!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Hotlurve

Post by Hotlurve »

im keeping one eye on how the new mg cyberster does should be a good barometer on 2 seater sports
Polaris White 380 rdstr, 2013, extnd leather,perf seats, cyclone 20”, Ferrari 458 spider 2015, Bianco avus,carbon pack, carbon seats, front lift, musician, biker,.
Money may not buy you happiness but I’d rather cry in a Jag than a bus. (or a 458)
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

I assume we will still be able to arrange to import Japanese cars when the UK supply dries up?
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

The problem is the battery tech - apart from the dangers of thermal runaway the push for "more range" means ever bigger batteries and ever bigger vehicles. Hardly sustainable.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Jaguandy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:40 pm I assume we will still be able to arrange to import Japanese cars when the UK supply dries up?
Japan’s goal for new cars is the same as UK. All to be EV from 2035. Shouldn’t affect used imports but if manufacturers already stopped making them beforehand there is only a limited supply.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

Somebody will still be making IC cars for places like Africa, India? I can't see those countries going over to EVs any time soon. Toyota, amongst others, presumably.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16