Anti-Gravity Lithium Battery

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

paddy1000111 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 pm
RPSN wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:24 pm I think you’re making the right decision there!

I was going to ask why don’t you return the Anti-Gravity battery for a refund as you’ve paid a wedge for it (approx £1,000)? If you bought it from 'Antigravity Batteries uk' I can now see why as this is their ‘Returns’ policy..... https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/returns.html

Hope you can sort something out.
The refund policy is crazy, but doesn’t change the rights under CCL to return items. Perhaps need to pay shipping, assuming of course you didn’t buy weeks ago.
Unfortunately the ccl rights mean a seller can issue you a credit note which is BS I think 🙄
My understanding is that online purchases are entitled to a full refund, but I’m not a UK lawyer, so happy to be corrected by a qualified professional

Their is what Money UK says:
Online Purchases

When you shop online, you have a 14-day grace period to change your mind after receiving the item. This is enshrined in law under the Consumer Contracts Regulations. Once you’ve changed your mind, you then have a further 14 days to return the item.

It doesn’t matter why you’ve changed your mind. These distance-selling regulations apply to all purchases where you’ve bought the item away from the seller’s premises. That includes purchases made online, by postal order, over the phone and through TV shopping channels.

However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. You won’t be entitled to return the following types of items:

Those that have been made to your specifications or personalised
Those that are perishable (like flowers or fresh food)
Those that were sealed on delivery but have now been opened (such as DVDs or computer games)
Those that date quickly, such as newspapers, magazines or periodicals
Anything based on betting, gaming or lotteries
Events tickets
Digital goods (such as music downloads).

Of course, if an item bought online turns out to be faulty, then you’re protected by the same rights that apply to purchases made in person. The retailer must also cover the cost of return.

EDIT - I think the point of returns may now be somewhat academic as returning to the original post it's clear the battery was purchased at the latest on 25th February. likely several days earlier, given it's been delivered by that date.
I'd still send an email today (Sunday) notifying of the intention to return if the battery was received on the 25th as that's exactly 14 days.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

The laws are messy. They do have to take it back and offer a refund but unless its faulty, not as described, damaged or cant be provided I don't think they have to give a cash refund. I ended up getting a credit note for some plates as that is their refund policy. The company then went bust about 3 weeks later (made.com) and I lost about £400. I couldn't even get the money back via the bank.
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

paddy1000111 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:36 pm The laws are messy. They do have to take it back and offer a refund but unless its faulty, not as described, damaged or cant be provided I don't think they have to give a cash refund. I ended up getting a credit note for some plates as that is their refund policy. The company then went bust about 3 weeks later (made.com) and I lost about £400. I couldn't even get the money back via the bank.
I quoted an expert UK source, so am confident in that.
In any event by tomorrow latest it’s academic as the 14 day period will have expired.
Section 75 liability at a bank will not cover for change of mind.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:09 pm
paddy1000111 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:36 pm The laws are messy. They do have to take it back and offer a refund but unless its faulty, not as described, damaged or cant be provided I don't think they have to give a cash refund. I ended up getting a credit note for some plates as that is their refund policy. The company then went bust about 3 weeks later (made.com) and I lost about £400. I couldn't even get the money back via the bank.
I quoted an expert UK source, so am confident in that.
In any event by tomorrow latest it’s academic as the 14 day period will have expired.
Section 75 liability at a bank will not cover for change of mind.
Hopefully you're right and he gets his money back in cash. Just saying that the source you posted says they have to take it back but nothing about the type of refund.

Anti-gravity batteries policy is "If you decide that you do not want any item which we have correctly delivered then, provided that it is returned to us in its original and unused condition (including in its original packaging), along with the wrapping and delivery note (as proof of purchase) within 28 days of delivery, we will exchange it or offer a credit note."

I can't find any rules or regulations about a company having to give you a cash refund to the original payment method. Money UK also says "A retailer can only offer you a credit note if you’re returning something because you’ve changed your mind. If there’s a problem with your item, you should be offered a refund as long as you’re returning it within 30 days."
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Yes the returns policy has closed. Purchased on 23rd. I will sell it, cheaply, through another channel along with the charger.

I have an allocated pot to spend on my car/hobby each year. As glib as it sounds it just means an upgrade or preventative maintenance item deferred till next year. Still hurts a bit though 😂
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

DaddyDarren wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 pm Yes the returns policy has closed. Purchased on 23rd. I will sell it, cheaply, through another channel along with the charger.

I have an allocated pot to spend on my car/hobby each year. As glib as it sounds it just means an upgrade or preventative maintenance item deferred till next year. Still hurts a bit though 😂
That’s a shame the return period has expired.
Given the circumstances I’d certainly test fit it before selling. It’ll either work as normal, charge, etc. or if it doesn’t then can be returned. If they failed to charge, did any damage, etc. then the internet would be awash with posts.
Your call on fitting, but I also understand the ‘pot’ to spend. I’ve done it for a couple of decades with a pair of Jeeps and latterly the F Type having a limited amount I can get under the radar before Mrs CJ runs a verbal audit on spend and price matches me on clothes, cosmetics, etc..
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

cj10jeeper wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:02 am Given the circumstances I’d certainly test fit it before selling. It’ll either work as normal, charge, etc. or if it doesn’t then can be returned. If they failed to charge, did any damage, etc. then the internet would be awash with posts.
Your call on fitting, but I also understand the ‘pot’ to spend.
Some further information to bear in mind (taken from the link I provided earlier in this thread)....

‘Charging A Lithium Ion Battery With An Alternator Seems To Work, Though’

“The battery will indeed charge. Just not properly or safely. There's a large group of people that totally ignore this advice, and they disagree with it. They replace their lead-acid batteries with lithium batteries. They start their car, it works fine and they don't have any issues right away. So, they assume that everything's okay. But the things mentioned earlier in this article are definitely at play and in the worst-case scenario, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong. In the best-case scenario, you will never get the full battery performance due to the improper charging cycle.”

Although the Anti-Gravity battery that the OP purchased has a ‘built-in battery management system’ for safety and long life, how effective this actually is I don’t know? Also, as previously explained in this thread, I wonder if this would have any effect on the F-TYPE’s ‘battery monitoring system’ (BMS) control module which is mounted on the battery negative terminal? The BMS control module is integral with the battery negative cable and is controlled by the GWM (Gateway Module).

As the OP said....“Don’t think I want to risk anything untoward happening to my pride & joy. I like to push the envelope but electrics are not one of them.”

Furthermore (explained earlier in this thread), the lighter Anti-Gravity battery could have an adverse effect on Jaguar’s 'Optimum Weight Distribution' for the car which gives perfect balance i.e...."Meticulous attention to detail in the design and construction has put the battery, electronic systems and even the washer bottle at the rear to give perfect balance. All these factors combine to ensure that F-Type is inherently agile and a real pleasure to drive."

For a battery priced at approx £1,000 there’s a lot of things to be taken into consideration here! If it were me, before laying out that sort of money on a battery I would have only done so if the ‘Returns’ policy allowed me to return it (with or without a fault) for a full cash refund if need be. As you say, given the circumstances it could be worth the OP test fitting the Anti-Gravity battery as the only way it can be returned for a full refund is if it has a fault. The chances of this are slim but it’s worth a try!

The OP has said he’s going to sell the Anti-Gravity battery along with the charger. If he does, I hope he gets a good price for them to help compensate for the loss.

Personally, I think he’s made the right decision in having a new Jaguar OEM battery (which comes with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty) fitted in his car this week.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post